Disco 5: Let the depression set in

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
I finally saw a Discovery TD6 this weekend at Wintergreen.

Like Greenspan said, it just gets lost in the sea of new/curvy/sport-utes.
I think the current Subaru lineup has more character.

Oh, and the sticker price of $71,000 for that awesome 26mpg diesel...... LOL

qbenplaya00

Oct 4, 2012
Melancholy Hill NJ
I would have had more respect for jlr/Tata if they would have just kept to somewhat an original line to the vehicles model. Or at least kept an original vehicle for each model and sub-modeled everything else. (Exsample: LR5 or Discovery (original lines) then gone off and done the discovery sport, evoque etc...) But hey I'm not the market they are looking for. Nor would I ever be able to afford anything newer then 10 years old. So they listen to people that can afford the brand and sadly this vomit of a product is what was regurgitated from the trageted markets input. I think if the brand doesn't switch hands (again) and go back to a British or like minded company where they are willing to go back to original designs, then your seeing the future of this brand and where it's heading.
But yes, I do feel the brand can do more to appeal to a more wider base and yes I feel like they should bring some " ruggedness " back to the line up. I want to think safari, over landing, camel trophy again when I say Land Rover, which sadly I don't anymore.
I'm not a purist by any means I do believe in bettering a product and using technology to advance it. It's just... it feels like something is missing, like an emptiness that would like to be filled... in another 10 years when I can afford one.

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Now who is getting snobby with a miele ?
(We really like our twenty year old expedition white miele).

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Kennith... go drive the AMC GLC Coupe, let me know what you think. I want to read the entire detailed review. ;-)

I know, no low range and not much clearance. I have not seen one yet, but been in some new Benz and really enjoyed them.

That is one ugly interior. I'm not sure I could stand it, but if I pass by a dealership I'll give it a shot.

I don't really think Mercedes is producing the cars people think they are these days. The quality seems to have dropped quite a bit, while Jaguar and Land Rover quality (whether you like the cars or not) has been improving.

They have some good stuff, but the traditional models and lower lines just feel cheap to me.

Cheers,

Kennith

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Mercedes are dead to me since they have gotten so electrically complicated. I think the main points that everyone is forgetting about the new Discovery are:

1. Diesel!
2. 8 speed transmission
3. Two speed transfer case is still available.
4. It should be a great road trip car.
5. DIESEL!!!!!

downside:

It is kinda ugly...

Last edited:

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Jack,

All great points. It doesn't change the fact that the C pillar and rear end of the vehicle are a disaster of biblical proportions. I would not own one because of the way it looks. The entire brand's curvy look is ruining everything that I liked about the way they looked. In my opinion they are only selling because of the brand name. There is no uniqueness or allure to the brand for me. There is just a name and an inherent paid for silent one-upper. I'd rather spend my schmeckles on anything else.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Jack,

All great points. It doesn't change the fact that the C pillar and rear end of the vehicle are a disaster of biblical proportions. I would not own one because of the way it looks. The entire brand's curvy look is ruining everything that I liked about the way they looked. In my opinion they are only selling because of the brand name. There is no uniqueness or allure to the brand for me. There is just a name and an inherent paid for silent one-upper. I'd rather spend my schmeckles on anything else.

Agreed. My daughters mom gets a new RRS every few years. They've gotten worse. Small and inefficient interior spaces and the ride is shit. I honestly like my 2008 Tahoe better for so many reasons (my 5 year agrees). The RRS is certainly a better vehicle in terms of quality/fit/finish and "fun factor", but the functionality and look of them is in the toilet. I'd be good with an L322, but I just didn't have the balls to pull the trigger based on reliability and overall quality of them as used vehicles. The entire modern line up has now been homogenized into mini me versions with absolutely little to distinguish them from other brands.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Agreed. My daughters mom gets a new RRS every few years. They've gotten worse. Small and inefficient interior spaces and the ride is shit. I honestly like my 2008 Tahoe better for so many reasons (my 5 year agrees). The RRS is certainly a better vehicle in terms of quality/fit/finish and "fun factor", but the functionality and look of them is in the toilet. I'd be good with an L322, but I just didn't have the balls to pull the trigger based on reliability and overall quality of them as used vehicles. The entire modern line up has now been homogenized into mini me versions with absolutely little to distinguish them from other brands.

I drove the RRS a while back. I was looking for something to replace my Q7 and figured what the heck, I'll see what LR has these days. I didn't hate it, but there just wasn't any love there. What's the point of getting a LR if there's nothing to love. I think most enthusiasts buy LR's in spite of their flaws because there is something to offset those flaws, but the current LR lineup is just meh.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Interestingly, I love the new RRS. Love it.

But wouldn't drive a new Discovery if you gave it to me. Would sell it and buy an Explorer, change up the badges, and none would be the wiser.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Interestingly, I love the new RRS. Love it.

But wouldn't drive a new Discovery if you gave it to me. Would sell it and buy an Explorer, change up the badges, and none would be the wiser.

So You would sell this Discovery to buy a transverse mounted mini van shaped like a Range Rover Sport. I think you guys should drive stuff before you jump to these conclusions. The goal was to build a truck that outperforms the LR4 in every way. Everybody I know who has driven it is very impressed. I would go drive one.