LR3 front drive shaft removal

Tyrone

Oct 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong in pulling the front drive shaft on my 2006 LR3? I removed all the star bolts and when I pull back on the front of the drive shaft, the metal grease seal cover wants to slide off the solid disk exposing the grease and internals. What do I need to do to get the whole assembly off please? Does the drive shaft attach to the diff in a cup of sorts or is it simply held on by the six bolts? Thanks.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
First loosen all the flange bolts, front and rear (don't remove yet, so when you loosen things up it doesn't fall on your head). Then pry the drive shaft flanges loose at each end, freeing it from the faces of the diff and t-case. Then remove the nuts/bolts and compress and remove.

Tyrone

Oct 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Thanks. I've tried that and the only thing that pries away is the black bearing and grease cover. It looks like the ends of the shaft fit into a "cup" on the T-case and diff and they're stuck in there. Or is it a flush face to face fit?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
There really isn't much chance the thing will fall out on your head. I think your going to have to take it off the t case then raise the t case to get the shaft out of the truck.

I get them off the diff and the t case with a cold chisel. I get the cold chisel from ace hardware. I think they are actually for working with bricks or something. I like for the chisel to be about a foot long so I can get better angles on this stuff. Dig the chisel into the side of the cv joint and then use that groove to knock it off the diff. As far as the caps at the ends of the shaft, don't compress the shaft while it's loose from either end or they will pop off. Sometimes you can get it back together, sometimes not.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
If it's only stuck on the front flange, carefully separate the two. A chisel might be needed, sometimes a sideways hit with a hammer will do the job, it may be rusted between the two surfaces, so a little PB Blaster or other penetrating oil should be used and left to soak in. If you use a chisel, be sure to clean up the flange surface with a file before fitting another drive shaft. If you're reusing the drive shaft be sure not to let it come apart, as putting it back together in the right location isn't as apparent as on some vehicles.