Reset adaptive values

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I haven't forgotten about this. I wrote this in unix and it happened to compile for windows. I know the interface sucks. I started moving it to c# so it'll be native windows with a buttons and icons and stuff requiring no command line crap. Just a bit of a relearning curve for shitty Microsoft development

Awesome. I know I'm looking forward to having mine reset. I think I may have a wonky ECU.

Did you try it with your OBD plugged in but disconnected from the vehicle? I was getting permission denied if my OBDWIZ was in connected status. Once disconnected I could get the file to start working but not complete.

My test cases:

Win 10:
OBDWiz Connected to ECU - OK / Not connected to ECU OK / app closed - BT stays paired
BT Pair - OK
GEMS with reset / without reset - Permission denied

Win 7:
OBDWiz Connected to ECU / Not connected to ECU / app closed
BT Pair
GEMS with reset / without reset

Win XP:
OBDWiz Connected to ECU / Not connected to ECU / app closed - Couldn't test
BT Pair - Failed. Can't get Anycom USB500 to work
GEMS with reset / without reset - Couldn't test

I need to go to work so I'll have to pick this up later.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Sent. been busy, and the storms and wind have the power off more than on this week.

OK, so we have similar Windoze systems. Both ASUS, both 55 series. Lots of similarities. You have 5 hotfixes on yours that I have not allowed on mine. I'll need to go research them to see if they are material to the "access denied" I am seeing. The message comes after the initial access of the OBD interface.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Wow! Hope all is otherwise well.

It's fine. I just have a bunch of neighbors who don't trim their trees. Keeps the Nextdoor email lists entertaining

Are you sure the com port isn't already in use? I did get as far as setting the bench Ecu back up, but this weekend was was nice so I did real work on the rovers, not sit in front of the laptop in the garage.

And that asus laptop is a pile of shat. 2 weeks out of warranty and the keyboard stops working. Maybe you've got something broke on yours too

It's fine. I just have a bunch of neighbors who don't trim their trees. Keeps the Nextdoor email lists entertaining

Are you sure the com port isn't already in use? I did get as far as setting the bench Ecu back up, but this weekend was was nice so I did real work on the rovers, not sit in front of the laptop in the garage.

And that asus laptop is a pile of shat. 2 weeks out of warranty and the keyboard stops working. Maybe you've got something broke on yours too

I have had my K55 ASUS for about 4 years. It hasn't so much as burped.

I think it may be a driver problem with BT. The adpater doesn't have a Win 10 driver. I may pick up a new BT dongle. I have another system I can test.

. . . . . . . . .

OK, 15 minutes later. Nearly new HP laptop / Win 10. BT connected no issue. Verified the com ports are not in use. Same message: Access denied.

Using Torque or the OBDLink app both can do the usual stuff so the LX is talking to the ECM.

This seems to happen right after the GEMS app attempts to connect. That initial handshake that authorizes/authenticates seems to be where the failure happens. It just can't get past the auth to do the reset.

I am wondering if that handshake or authentication is different across the versions of ECM.

-Mike O

Last edited:
I hate windows

try this, rewritten in C++

its still a kluge
http://www.flemcodesign.com/files/GEMS11.ZIP

GEMS Adaptive Reset Tool V1.1
By Robert Fleming
robert@flemcodesign.com

USAGE:
GEMS COM# [OPTION 1] [OPTION 2]

COM# : THE PORT THAT THE SCANTOOL.NET OBD2 READER IS CONNECTED.

OPTIONS:
RESET RESETS ADAPTIVE VALUES
VERBOSE DISPLAYS SERIAL DIAGNOSTICS BETWEEN PC AND SCANNER

A kludge it may be but it worked on my truck.

Are the adaptive values shown during the run the values read from the ECM or the reset values?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
It issues the reset last so those values are before. It wasn't converting them correctly before and now it's really not so only look at the delta if you run it twice. , not ththe value. Someday I'll fix it, but it's behind alarm pairing and a GUI

DiscoCam

May 18, 2017
SF Bay Area
I can't seem to get either version to work on my Windows 10 laptop (also an ASUS computer).
On the first one, it just says connecting to com4 and that's it. The new version of the program says com error.

hrhoward

Jan 4, 2016
Huntsville, AL
It's been a couple months since I have had to reset the values. Guessing it took about 8-12 times before it took. Might not of took and held because of wacky crank sensor wiring. Had to cut and splice wiring harness at the connector. Bare wires and such. Might of had to reset it once since crank sensor repair. That was almost two months ago.