Harvey

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Anyone on here in TX riding out Harvey?

I've got friends south of Houston; some have been given mandatory evacuation orders (Sienna Plantation in Missouri City). The Brazos River is expected to have record flooding. It's bad and getting worse.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
I'm waiting to hear about my uncle's house in Port Aransas. My cousins haven't been able to make it down there yet to inspect the damage. Port A is on a barrier island and got hit really hard. For whatever reason, the news coverage has mostly been in Rockport and we haven't heard much about Port A and Mustang Island, which is a little odd because it is far more popular with tourists.

My uncle's sailboat was in dry dock in Rockport for some repairs. My cousin spotted it on the news and it looks like the repairs will no longer be necessary:

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Yeah, those places took the hit. I've seen some stories come out, but they've been overwhelmed by Houston stories. I think the couple of days it took for people to get in to Port A/Rockport delayed reporting.

Sorry to hear about the boat. Ouch.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I'm waiting to hear about my uncle's house in Port Aransas. My cousins haven't been able to make it down there yet to inspect the damage. Port A is on a barrier island and got hit really hard. For whatever reason, the news coverage has mostly been in Rockport and we haven't heard much about Port A and Mustang Island, which is a little odd because it is far more popular with tourists.

My uncle's sailboat was in dry dock in Rockport for some repairs. My cousin spotted it on the news and it looks like the repairs will no longer be necessary:

My roomate from college's parents live there. He had some friends in the local FD check on it since I think the bridge is still closed and the ferry isn't running. "basement"/lower level of house flooded. Car out front had water up to the steering wheel. Neighbors crappy fence blown over and there backyard yard art/garbage thrown all over the neighborhood. I dont know the street, but its 5 minutes from the ferry. Crashed there for a few spring breaks. I'm also told the liqour store with the dog logo has collapsed. I don't remember that one.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
They moved CBP air assets and BORSTAR teams out of Tucson to Fort Hood...Talked with one of the pilots who lives next door, he said you cannot believe how bad it is. Some area's are realtively dry and above the water and there are places that are completely underwater, meaning that you can't even see the rooftops. His team has pulled over 400 people out the shit and they've only been ther 48 hours...

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
This is going to be really bad for a really long time. Some people I know and I are sending a sprinter van down with supplies for the people at the convention center. Anyone close to me or Nashville who wants to help let me know.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC

This is very sad. I was just in Rockport 3 weeks ago drumming up business. Good news, I got the business. Bad news, clients probably won't be using it anytime soon. Very good people all around there. From Port Arthur, Galveston on down to Matagorda and Rockport. Sending my best wishes.

I'll edit and add this photo, Rockport just a few short weeks ago...

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
They moved CBP air assets and BORSTAR teams out of Tucson to Fort Hood...Talked with one of the pilots who lives next door, he said you cannot believe how bad it is. Some area's are realtively dry and above the water and there are places that are completely underwater, meaning that you can't even see the rooftops. His team has pulled over 400 people out the shit and they've only been ther 48 hours...

I just saw a report that 30% of Harris County is under water. And about 1\3 to 1\2 of Fort Bend and Brazoria are expected to flood when the Brazos and Columbia Rivers crest.

For those that don't know the area, you're talking maybe 150-200 mile across. Maybe more.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
You're fooling yourself if you think better development practices alone would make a significant difference for the amount of flooding. A 14' TX A&M study on the affects of develeopment in the region estimated the region lost the ability to handle nearly four billion gallons of storm water. While this is a an insane amount of water it's only a fraction of the trillions of gallons of water dumped on the area.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
You're fooling yourself if you think better development practices alone would make a significant difference for the amount of flooding. A 14' TX A&M study on the affects of develeopment in the region estimated the region lost the ability to handle nearly four billion gallons of storm water. While this is a an insane amount of water it's only a fraction of the trillions of gallons of water dumped on the area.

Exactly.

When the equivalent of Lake Michigan dumps on an area the size of Lake Michigan in 5 days, there's going to be flooding, no matter what. Heck, the Brazos River just crested yesterday (Rosharon, West Columbia), and isn't expected to go down for 3 more days.

This "overdevelopment made it worse" argument is pretty specious to me.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Uncle's beach house is totally fucked. This used to be a sweet little place.