Misfire fun

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
2004 D2, 125K. Had P1300 and the codes for cylinder 4&8 misfire first, then 2, 4, & 8.

No loss of power, no indicators of performance loss.

CEL threw when it started, not while driving.

Checked spark plugs, looked fine. Plugs and wires new about 40K ago.

Pretty much stumped. Fucker decided to do this the day I was taking her in for her NC inspection. I don't have time to fuck around before the tags expired. Cunt may have chosen her fate. (sorry for the cunt, but it fits)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Was it sitting for a while? I'm thinking vac. Leak. But you say you don't feel it miss and the light came on right away? Hate to say it but that sounds like coolant in the cylinder from a crack behind a liner. But that usually only happens on one cylinder.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Was it sitting for a while? I'm thinking vac. Leak. But you say you don't feel it miss and the light came on right away? Hate to say it but that sounds like coolant in the cylinder from a crack behind a liner. But that usually only happens on one cylinder.

Daily driver, drove it all weekend too. Could be a vac leak, need to check on that.

No steam cleaning of the plugs. Nor were they carbon fouled (leaky injectors cause that?)

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
My vote is leaky injectors, too. They're pretty cheap these days - I bought a remanufactured set of 8 for $148 of fleabay. Replacement on my D1 was pretty straightforward and easy - not sure if it's the same on a D2.

You can also check to make sure that the coil pack is bolted down correctly and solid. If it is loose that can cause problems.

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
my 04 at 125k was coil packs on this same thing, about six months ago. Chased everything up until those and decided to throw those at it and it solved the issue.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Well, so far, so good.

Ran a full can of seafoam in the 1/4 tank of fuel i had in it and ran that out. Also did a upper intake clean with 1/2 bottle of seafoam. No issues for the past 24 hours and it passed the emissions test.

Fingers crossed that it wont come back, but I am expecting it to....

mlnnc

Mar 23, 2008
Charlotte
I'm glad the misfires cleared up, but for the record in my experience multiple misfires showing up around the same time and all on one side can be caused by a bad O2 sensor even if typical O2 codes don't appear. The clue is that all the misfires are on one side. The only thing shared by all the odd or even cylinders is the O2.