Drilling holes in SD rack

dcaven

Nov 16, 2007
Houston, TX
Installing limb risers and am having trouble drilling through the rack. Any suggests? Even the smallest bit wanders. Thanks.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Don't drill, as others have said. If you come across a similar problem(not on your SD rack!!!) use a punch to make a small dimple. Then drill where you made the dimple.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Drill that dimple in your forehead. Then get wise and clamp, with rubber between, on the bar. Don't fuck up that rack.

dcaven

Nov 16, 2007
Houston, TX
It's my rack. I don't see how drilling a couple of small holes ruins it. I won't ever sell the rack so resale is not an issue. Please explain I asked the question because i want to drill straight holes for the hardware that came with the bush cables. Please elaborate so I understand how I would be ruining the rack.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
It's my rack. I don't see how drilling a couple of small holes ruins it. I won't ever sell the rack so resale is not an issue. Please explain I asked the question because i want to drill straight holes for the hardware that came with the bush cables. Please elaborate so I understand how I would be ruining the rack.

Do you know how rust is formed?

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
You can do anything you want, but as others have noted you will end up f'ing up a rack that doesn't need to be f'd up (nevermind the utility of limb risers, that's a whole different discussion...we've all been there...next thing you'll mount a 2nd spare and some jerry cans too (seriously, we have all been there, that's why we're saying don't)).

If you must limb rise, just get these: https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-4pcs-Horizontal-Mounting-Bracket-Motorcycle/dp/B01LWOIMIN
then you are set, without drilling, and when the passion for the Camel Trophy wears off it is easy to remove them.

r-
Ray

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
By drilling the holes you'll allow water to get in there, and eventually it will rust from the inside out. Pretty simple.

You can booger it up with some kind of sealant, which always looks high class. The problem with sealants is they will eventually pull away/separate from the tube and you're back to the original problem of water getting inside.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Get a piece of pvc pipe with and id that is the same as the od of the rack tube. Drill a hole through it and then slice it in half. Clamp it in position on the rack and use it as a bit guide. Probably have to drill from both sides but it should line up. Just go easy as to not fuck up the pvc.:yawn:

dcaven

Nov 16, 2007
Houston, TX
You can do anything you want, but as others have noted you will end up f'ing up a rack that doesn't need to be f'd up (nevermind the utility of limb risers, that's a whole different discussion...we've all been there...next thing you'll mount a 2nd spare and some jerry cans too (seriously, we have all been there, that's why we're saying don't)).

If you must limb rise, just get these: https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-4pcs-Horizontal-Mounting-Bracket-Motorcycle/dp/B01LWOIMIN
then you are set, without drilling, and when the passion for the Camel Trophy wears off it is easy to remove them.

r-
Ray

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.