Marks adapters for D2 chevy swap

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
You're going to spend 10k and tons of time on this and then gut the interior? Buy a buggy, or an FJ40 w/chevy, or an FJ80 and gut it, a newer Jeep, an older Jeep with Chevy swap, or import a cheap busted Defender and do the swap. Trying to make a D2 something it isn't is just going to result in disappointment.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
GEMS era D1, pre AEL. No traction control to worry about, no XYZ switch, everything under the hood is metal not plastic, no insanely high opening temperature jarviks artificial babooon heart thermostat to worry about, no junk aftermarket ignition components like the 14cux. Just crappy crankshaft sensor wiring thats easy to fix.

Tophat is just insurance. If you start with a good block and never let it overheat it shouldn't be a problem, but then how do you know if its a good block? Throw the 4.6 cam in the trash, put a 53229 in there and spend the rest of your money on bushings,window regulators, and steering rod ends.
GEMS 4.0 with a supercharger should be in the same ballpark as naturally-aspirated 4.8-5.0, and it is relatively easy to build and to live with.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Sure, if all you want is a dyno printout with a bigger max value or spend most of the time at significant altitude. Thats a hefty fuel expense for the rest of the time when < 100% displacement is needed.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
after you spend 10 to 12k doing any of the above options, you still end up with a D2 worth 3k...

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Just have Trailhead do it if you have the money. He's got over 16,000miles on his swapped shop truck. He said around $10,000 on FB.
I'm almost positive he's in Utah wheeling right now though so I wouldn't expect a call too soon.

I don't have the tools or the time.. But I do have money.

Have you checked with trailhead 4x4 to see what the charge to do the LS swap running rover electronics?

I have reached out to D&D and Trailhead 4x4. We'll see who calls me back and how badly they want to take my money.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I don't have the tools or the time.. But I do have money.

Send me 10 grand and I'll come by and kick you in the balls. In a stall at a truck stop if you like. Your gonna end up with the same result, but your truck will still be running.

If you want to do a conversion look into the kits for putting a Isuzu Diesel in a defender. The Australian military does it to Defenders before they use them. I saw one out wheeling and looked pretty good.

the deputy

Sep 20, 2017
michigan
Mark at D&D is a straight shooter and will deal you right, if you go that direction. Talked to him extensively about my 03's engine issue and once all of the cards were on the table...he agreed that the engine wasn't worth rebuilding. He seemed sincere about only making the rebuild happen if it was worth doing and cost were within reason, never got the impression that it was just a money grab. Now, maybe he was a little more considerate...since I live around the corner and he'd have to deal with me face to face...if things got out of control (cost wise or issues). Granted, I've never read anything negative about D&D anywhere on the web. Anyhow, that's my two cent on them.

When I was down at Eric's place (4X4 Trailhead), he showed me his conversion and it looked pretty clean. We didn't talk to much about it, but he seems like a straight shooter too. He's a one man operation, I believe, so his work load is tremendous. But, he seems to have the energy of two people...so your wait may not be awful...if you go that route.

I'm of the opinion...if you like a certain vehicle and you want to make it the way you want...knock yourself out. It's your rig, it's your money, it's your life.

Good luck, with your decision.

Brian.