D1 Suspension set-up

barukinzs

Apr 27, 2015
SoCal
I need to replace my blown Terrafirma shock and I thought this will be a good time to replace them all. I have TF +2" lift springs, 245/75 BFG KO2 AT's. I'm happy with the current set-up but I think I can improve, I'm open to your thoughts on other brands and suspension set-up.

I want a good balance, mainly 70/30 tarmac/off-road.

Thank you!

Last edited:

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Shocks are a matter of personal preference;
I thought I was happy with Bilstein shocks until they started falling apart.
Then I thought I was happy with TF +2" shocks until I replaced them with OME shocks, front and rear.
Then I thought I was unhappy with OME shocks, until the Rubicon.
Methinks if I had TF shocks in one particular place, I wouldn't be typing these words.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Shocks are a matter of personal preference;
I thought I was happy with Bilstein shocks until they started falling apart.
Then I thought I was happy with TF +2" shocks until I replaced them with OME shocks, front and rear.
Then I thought I was unhappy with OME shocks, until the Rubicon.
Methinks if I had TF shocks in one particular place, I wouldn't be typing these words.

I'm still not sure if you like TF or OME shocks after all that.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I'm still not sure if you like TF or OME shocks after all that.
OMEs are a lot stiffer, and running them with XZLs pumped to 40 psi is a little harsh.
But on the rocks they turned out superb compared to TF. Staying with OME.

I have a pair of 5125-series long-travel Bilsteins I bought for the D1. They were valved so ridiculously soft that I took them off almost immediately. Bilstein here in Poway can revalve them to whatever I wanted - but the price is about on par with brand new OME shocks. So they are still hanging on the wall in my garage.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
I've run a few different types and I've personally found Old Man Emu to be the best. They beat Terrafirma for sure and other ghetto no name brands in the magazines. I liked the RTE 3"springs I had back in 2006 but for offroading only and not on road.

barukinzs

Apr 27, 2015
SoCal
Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I'd like to use OME's but can only source 1.5" spring option and with all the extra weight, I would be lowering the truck. I really like the current stance with the +2" TF springs. Now, I'm thinking of keeping the TF springs there and just buy the OME shocks. Thoughts?

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I'd like to use OME's but can only source 1.5" spring option and with all the extra weight, I would be lowering the truck. I really like the current stance with the +2" TF springs. Now, I'm thinking of keeping the TF springs there and just buy the OME shocks. Thoughts?
Consider this: I have OME HD (751/762) springs, and compared to stock measurements, they are at about 2.5" of lift. The springs are more than 20 years old.
On another D1, OME MD come in at slightly over 2".

If you ordered stuff from Expedition Exchange by mid-day, chances are high that it would be at your doorstep next day.

barukinzs

Apr 27, 2015
SoCal
Consider this: I have OME HD (751/762) springs, and compared to stock measurements, they are at about 2.5" of lift. The springs are more than 20 years old.
On another D1, OME MD come in at slightly over 2".

If you ordered stuff from Expedition Exchange by mid-day, chances are high that it would be at your doorstep next day.

Thank you Peter! One thing I'm certain is I definitely need at least an HD spec springs in the rear, no doubt. (XL RTT, fridge, family 2kids stuff, etc.) In the front, I'm not sure if I should go with the HD (751) or the Extra HD (766). Now, based on your disco1 with the HD 751, I think I will be happy using the same spring giving me ~2+ of lift. Front setup: LR brush bar, winch tray, big battery and winch.

BTW, this is Jeff. We've met before, around the same time last year in Page.

Cheers!

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Thank you Peter! One thing I'm certain is I definitely need at least an HD spec springs in the rear, no doubt. (XL RTT, fridge, family 2kids stuff, etc.) In the front, I'm not sure if I should go with the HD (751) or the Extra HD (766). Now, based on your disco1 with the HD 751, I think I will be happy using the same spring giving me ~2+ of lift. Front setup: LR brush bar, winch tray, big battery and winch.

BTW, this is Jeff. We've met before, around the same time last year in Page.

Cheers!
Oh, awesome Jeff! Same time last year in Page I was crawling around a very dead LR4 :)

crystalclear

Aug 16, 2010
764 front, 763 rear

if you are going to be loading it down with everything you listed, do the above and do it right once

consider: adjusted radius and trailing arms, f/r driveshafts, etc