Transfer Case shifter D1

slowfiveo

Jun 26, 2014
Elizabethtown
So, my 99 D1 has the typical seized CDL linkage that D1's get if the CDL is never used. I decided to tackle this job today and the results were pretty poor. Took the console out and hit it with PB blaster for about 4 hours. I couldn't get it to budge at all. I decided to disconnect the shifter from the linkage and pull it out. The shaft was completey seized and I spent an hour just lubing and tapping with a hammer. I can only get the shaft to move with decent force behind the old BFH. Also, the plastic housing that the base of the shifter sits in inside the housing cracked and broke apart.

I'm slowly deciding to just buy a new shifter assembly. I've priced one at $150 on roverlandparts.com but, since I'm new to Rovers I have no clue as to what is the best place to purchase one. Any suggestions?

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
So, my 99 D1 has the typical seized CDL linkage that D1's get if the CDL is never used. I decided to tackle this job today and the results were pretty poor. Took the console out and hit it with PB blaster for about 4 hours. I couldn't get it to budge at all. I decided to disconnect the shifter from the linkage and pull it out. The shaft was completey seized and I spent an hour just lubing and tapping with a hammer. I can only get the shaft to move with decent force behind the old BFH. Also, the plastic housing that the base of the shifter sits in inside the housing cracked and broke apart.

I'm slowly deciding to just buy a new shifter assembly. I've priced one at $150 on roverlandparts.com but, since I'm new to Rovers I have no clue as to what is the best place to purchase one. Any suggestions?

Not sure what plastic housing your talking about but when I had to free mine. I had to use a large punch and big hammer to start it moving. Then slathered it up with grease and drove it back the other way. Rinse and repeat about 20 times and it was moving freely. You do have to be careful not to break the more fragile bits.

As far as getting a new one. You could try eBay or sometimes people will list them in the for sale section. Unless they have changed much price I would expect to pay $90-$100 shipped for a decent used DI shifter assembly.

slowfiveo

Jun 26, 2014
Elizabethtown
Not sure what plastic housing your talking about but when I had to free mine. I had to use a large punch and big hammer to start it moving. Then slathered it up with grease and drove it back the other way. Rinse and repeat about 20 times and it was moving freely. You do have to be careful not to break the more fragile bits.

As far as getting a new one. You could try eBay or sometimes people will list them in the for sale section. Unless they have changed much price I would expect to pay $90-$100 shipped for a decent used DI shifter assembly.

Thanks for the info!
Here's a couple of pics. The plastic piece worked like a rotator cuff and held the spring loaded ball in place.