L322 - am I crazy?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I found a 2007 L322 Range Rover for sale with low miles and service history. I'm tempted. It's the Jag 4.4, photos appear to show a very good condition interior with no reported faults. I realize that if I buy it I'm entering a realm of complexity, expensive parts, and expensive repairs (if I can't do them) that are in a whole different ballpark from the familiar arena of the GEMS Disco and 14CUX Rangie with which I'm comfortable. Then again, these Rovers are supposedly an improvement in build quality over my 1990s era trucks, although that is a low bar to clear. I love how the L322 drives, both on and off-road. It would be a daily driver with occasional moderate off-road use for camping. Would keep the Disco for some of the gnarlier places I like to go. I understand that buying this is probably a bad idea, but Rover purchases are often an emotional decision rather than a rational choice. Otherwise we'd all be driving boring Toyotas. How bad of an idea is it? Talk me into it, talk me out of it, what would I be getting myself into? I'm interested but still undecided.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Do it! Its only money...

Seriously though, i had the same concerns when i was looking into buying a LR3. Glad I did, great trucks.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Funny, I also was considering one as well. What stopped me was the maintenance / parts cost and having many service items requiring special tools, etc. My RRC parts are expensive enough already.

We ended up with a 2004 Audi A4 Avant Quattro for our Winter ski car. Don?t need to be as concerned with the salt, etc. At least not as concerned as with the Rovers.

Yet, they are really nice.

Ol'Drippy

Apr 20, 2004
Chinoike Jigoku
I’ve got an 09 Autobiography and I love it. I’ve had to replace an ac compressor and a water pump in my year and a half but i bought it at 102k and now it’s at 115k. My mom just traded her 07 and it was right at 200k. Still ran great just lots of little stuff along the way. I say go for it, I couldn’t be happier with mine

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
I picked up an 08 L322 S/C earlier this year, super happy with it. Besides an impending doom with a timing issues, it's been flawless and a great vehicle.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Could be a V.V.T. Actuator on one of the cams. I remember doing those for a noise that would go away in about a second. Just when it's first started cold.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Could be a V.V.T. Actuator on one of the cams. I remember doing those for a noise that would go away in about a second. Just when it's first started cold.

That's the general consensus at the moment. Nobody in the area seems to be willing to do the job

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
That's the general consensus at the moment. Nobody in the area seems to be willing to do the job

If your going to do it yourself I can send you whatever info you need. It's a pretty easy engine to time. It helps if you have a check engine light and its picking on one specific vvt hub.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
L322 - am I crazy?

We are all crazy to like these things, but we do. I bought 2 P38s after owning a D1, I must be crazy.