Do you have to test SWR for CB's...

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
I would like to get my antenna mounted and CB mounted and powered up. Do you HVAE to test SWR before you can use your CB?

Thanks.
J.B.

F

frickjp

Hell, no, it's yours, do whatever you want. Is it a good idea, of course. It's interesting to see how far it's off with the meter when you first install it, but it still works. Unless you're trying to order a pizza from Sicily with it, it will likely be fine. It'll usually reach a mile just fine without ant tweeking.

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
Do you like burning out your CB? Yes, use a SWR meter. That's why adjustable antenna are popular for CB's, like Firestik, etc.

JamesWyatt

Apr 10, 2005
Allen, TX
discoweb.org
ptschram said:
There isn't one! But, so many people will tell you there is. I could go into feedline theory, but it would bore you and frustrate me when everyone jumped on me telling me I was wrong.

PT

Best length is one that reaches the main unit. Firestik wants to sell you an 18', but it took a full 20' to reach mine, which is routed from the front bumper (passenger side corner) to under the driver's seat.

And to address the original question: Yes, an SWR meter is needed. Try broadcasting for a while with an out of whack SWR and see how toasty your CB gets. Ain't pretty. The SWR meters from Radio Shack come with some pretty good instructions.