Overland Expo West 2016

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
It's that time again!

http://www.overlandexpo.com/

Join us in May outside Flagstaff, Arizona, or in October outside Asheville, North Carolina, for the world's most unique event for do-it-yourself adventure travel enthusiasts, with hundreds of session-hours of classes for 4-wheel-drive and adventure motorcycling, inspirational programs, the Overland Film Festival, roundtable discussions, demonstrations, food, and a large expo featuring over 200 vendors of adventure travel equipment, camping gear, bikes, vehicles, and services.

OVERLAND EXPO WEST

May 20 – 22, 2016

Mormon Lake Lodge, Flagstaff

Arizona, USA

• Campground conditions are rustic and in an undeveloped area with no hookups; 4WD is required. Water, showers and porta-toilets are available for use. Please see our FAQ for more details about the campground facilities.

Based on Last year's mudfest, they don't seem to be taking chances with the camping. I hope they come up with a dry spot for parking.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Seriously, I just finished cleaning the mud out of the truck from last year. Used the spot carpet cleaner to get rid of some dried on mud in the back seat.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Maybe they can find another bunch of yahoos to crush the roof of a D1 when attempting the roll over demo...

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Looks like the Expo East will be in a different venue although still in Asheville. Maybe not surprising given the issues last year. May head up for a day to check it out

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
I'll be camping in the Sedona area for the week before the expo. I may run a few trails, or just sit and stare at trees again. You guys are welcome to join me if you're in the area (roughly Schnebly Hill Rd and FS801).

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I'm so sick of roll-over demos. Insulting to the trucks that are used.

Most of the roll over demos I've seen are done quite poorly and done as Daniel said for the wow factor. We do them for each of our military groups, but it also provides us a good opportunity to show them vulnerable components of the vehicle. We also cover various options - from vehicles without winches (straps only) to using several vehicles to upright the rolled trucks with winches - redirects, etc.

But then again I'm not a fan of vendors "teaching".

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Most of the roll over demos I've seen are done quite poorly and done as Daniel said for the wow factor. We do them for each of our military groups, but it also provides us a good opportunity to show them vulnerable components of the vehicle. We also cover various options - from vehicles without winches (straps only) to using several vehicles to upright the rolled trucks with winches - redirects, etc.

But then again I'm not a fan of vendors "teaching".

But they are Overland Certified...

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
When it first was done, it was a demo, not a class…I even worked with the rescue guy's on how to remove a victim, so to say that vendors (because I'm not one) don't what their doing, or have the skills to do the demo, is too general of a statement. Teaching is one thing, a demo is another.

I do agree that what it has turned into is a fucking joke and should be taught by people who know what they are doing, but some of the so-called professionals at the EXPO are just as clueless as the vendors. You guy's were one of the few actual instructors that were qualified to teach.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I do agree that what it has turned into is a fucking joke and should be taught by people who know what they are doing, but some of the so-called professionals at the EXPO are just as clueless as the vendors. You guy's were one of the few actual instructors that were qualified to teach.

I don't know, those people look pretty serious with their trailers and roof top tents.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
They changed the description on the camping page: :D

Access is open to all vehicles except very large Class A motorhomes; any non-four-wheel-drive vehicles enter at their own risk and will be responsible for extraction should rain create muddy terrain.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
They changed the description on the camping page: :D
pretty sad that they even need to add that to the description...

We may be up there, but drinking beer and watching the circus...

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
If I was going to ExPo, I would take an RV, too. What's the point of sleeping in a RTT for campground camping when you can have actual comfort? It's not like ExPo is some wheeling event.