Suckers: Your Bucket Is Ready

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
IDK, I see tons of people with these on the subway every day. Seems like it would be easier than lugging a big bucket around.

If I?m working on a ladder I can hang a bucket off it and reach inside, etc. can?t do so with a bag like that.

Plus I can stick longer levels and whatnot in the bucket, or a couple battery operated drills and saws.

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
$35 for a Sno Peak coffee cup is stupid.

a $10 knock off is a different matter.

You are buying a logo and a lifestyle. The Yeti knock offs work just as well. IF you need your drink cold any longer you need to drink faster.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
If I?m working on a ladder I can hang a bucket off it and reach inside, etc. can?t do so with a bag like that.

Plus I can stick longer levels and whatnot in the bucket, or a couple battery operated drills and saws.

Okay, that actually makes sense. Granted, if the buckets Dan is referring to are breaking from the heavy load, I would assume you wouldn't want them on a ladder. Those Husky bags are just what I see a few dozen of every day.

Jan 25, 2010
your moms bed
Most HVAC guys use a Vito pro pack. Buckets are for shitting in or steeling copper. Yeti has tapped into the retard market which just happens to be overflowing.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
Those ain't rednecks any more than a dentist with a cycling hobby is a biker.

They're often yuppies and college kids playing the part. We've got plenty of them around here running those stupid Lincoln-Log lifts, 22" wheels, cherry bomb duals, and half-ass off-pavement tires. Sometimes they even drop the ass for that "ENC Squat" look; only that's not the look they end up with. Way to bring back ghetto Cadillacs from 1978, ass-hats... Yeti stickers and Salt Life crap all over the damned things.

The rednecks run those steel Colemans quite often... Wait a minute... :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

I hate to say it but Garrett is right those ARE rednecks. A redneck might not have much money but I'll be damned if he or she is going to let that get in the way of him having his Yeti cooler, Yeti hat, and a $300 Callaway driver. You can get on a payment plan for anything these days!!!! Hell, my wife has little redneck kids in her classes with $40k truck payments, $2k wheel payments, $800 car stereo payments and $10k atv payments. A $40 plastic bucket isn't going to hold them back!

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I do love the irony sometimes.

You wear expensive nice clothes and your an elitist.
You spend the same money on a real tree coat AND wear it everyday in public and you are an average joe workin' man.

The snow peak stuff is great, I don't have any but if I was a serious car camper that is what I would buy. It is made for a specific function. Now, when you see someone that is completely outfitted with every snow peak item that is when I make a joke.

No different than seeing fat women in lulu lemon yoga pants. They are buying it to let everyone know I have expendable funds. The whale is not using those tights for their intended purpose. In fact none of my yoga friends even wear their attire in public. It would be like my children wearing their hockey gear as a statement to let people know they play hockey?

Then again I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to proper attire in public.

Daniel doesn't spend money for the sake of spending money but Garrett loves to razz him on the equipment he does spend the extra coin on. Daniel razzes garrett back. You guys remind me of two old gay guys in a relationship but are not really in love.

What makes the Snow Peak gear so good Mike? What's the "function" that other companies don't offer? It's nothing special. There are many companies out there making titanium coffee cups, camp stoves, etc that are as good or better at the same price point or lower. It's no different than Yeti coolers - there is a perceived value in higher prices. It's trendy to drink your whiskey while car camping in titanium coffee cups. I guess that's a quality function.

Who cares what people spend their money on right, but I giggle a little when people try and justify it - like $40 buckets, $300 coolers and $40 coffee cups. What's next, a little $100 camp light, $500 down vest or $1,300 tent from Snow Peak?

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Garrett I am talking about specific items, not the full snow peak catalog. Keep in mind I have also been out of the game for quite a while now, so I am not up in the new stuff.

Stoves and cookware, for example, should require minimal space and also be effective. I have a primus 2 burner, primus nesting pots, and utensils. They take up minimal space, light weight, and not snow peak price. Sure I could use a jet boil and one pot, but I am not back packing.

I was referring moreso to full blown family style car camping when you need a lot of shit so everyone stays positive and happy! Not me wheeling without the tribe.

You and I are completely aligned regarding your points. People equate price with quality, they are consumerists.

Personally I do not need anything yeti sells. If I need a bucket I use one of my pelicans. If I need a cooler I fill one of pelicans with ice. If I need some luggage I use my pelicans. I need a tool carrier I use a pelican. I use my pelicans for everything. Had the pelicans almost 20 years and they still work and have not required replacing due to technology. Still amazes me when people see them at a hotel then go tell the wife he's buying some while he's strapped down with stupid bags, backpacks, shopping bags, etc.
I guess when you make an almost perfect product they will stand the test of time and do not require a cool lifestyle sales pitch sold at dick's sporting goods.

Pelican cases are the original yeti! Plus they are tactical looking as fuck!

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Let us be honest. Any time anyone has to justify anything they subconsciously know it is wrong. I know what you mean, if the product is worth the money it really does not need justified.

However I also understand sometimes I am close minded and once something is explained/justified I may change my mind.

A $40 bucket is outlandish. No way you can justify a $40 bucket. If it can be used as a cooler, then call it a fucking cooler! Not a bucket.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
And you also know Daniel. He doesn't waste money and usually has the right tool for the job.

I will say Daniel does confuse me on this one though. He uses tool bags, because they do the job...you can put specific tools in separate bags, zip them up so nothing falls out, you can write what's in them with a sharpie so you can grab the right bag, they are not rigid so you can stuff them in a bigger bag or pelican, and they will not crack when you toss them back into the truck.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Garrett I am talking about specific items, not the full snow peak catalog. Keep in mind I have also been out of the game for quite a while now, so I am not up in the new stuff.

Stoves and cookware, for example, should require minimal space and also be effective. I have a primus 2 burner, primus nesting pots, and utensils. They take up minimal space, light weight, and not snow peak price. Sure I could use a jet boil and one pot, but I am not back packing.

I was referring moreso to full blown family style car camping when you need a lot of shit so everyone stays positive and happy! Not me wheeling without the tribe.

You and I are completely aligned regarding your points. People equate price with quality, they are consumerists.

Personally I do not need anything yeti sells. If I need a bucket I use one of my pelicans. If I need a cooler I fill one of pelicans with ice. If I need some luggage I use my pelicans. I need a tool carrier I use a pelican. I use my pelicans for everything. Had the pelicans almost 20 years and they still work and have not required replacing due to technology. Still amazes me when people see them at a hotel then go tell the wife he's buying some while he's strapped down with stupid bags, backpacks, shopping bags, etc.
I guess when you make an almost perfect product they will stand the test of time and do not require a cool lifestyle sales pitch sold at dick's sporting goods.

Pelican cases are the original yeti! Plus they are tactical looking as fuck!

Their stoves are over priced as fuck as well. They are nice, but nothing special. I've used them a number of times. Again they look nice and they work well, but their prices aren't justified. My Partner Steel is significantly better in every way and isn't close to $400. $400 for their two burner stove is way more dumb than a $40 bucket. Oh wait - their $500 fire proof down jacket is. LOL. SnowPeak is the Freelander/LR2 of the "gear" lifestyle. It wants so bad to be part of the cool crowd, but falls very short.

Pelican/Storm cases aren't that expensive though and are priced accordingly. I use mine very frequently - from shipping recovery gear all around the country to just storing camping gear. Even the panniers on my KTM are 1550s. A wheel broke on my StormCase with a good 100lbs of gear in it coming from WA state. Sent them an email and a week later I had a complete new wheel set/handle.

I just refuse to support a company that sells so much that is overpriced when other options are better - never mind prices. It comes back to the principle of it. Now I sound like my dad. Fuck.

Oh god - I just noticed they sell a titanium straw for $18. LOL.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Their stoves are over priced as fuck as well. They are nice, but nothing special. I've used them a number of times. Again they look nice and they work well, but their prices don't come close to their quality. My Partner Steel is significantly better in every way and isn't close to $400. $400 for their two burner stove is way more dumb than a $40 bucket.

What makes the Cook Partner stove significantly better than the Snow Peak stove? It puts out fewer BTUs and doesn't have legs, which means if you are using a standard camp table you are stuck leaning over to cook. I guess you don't get to hang an overland chic propane tank off the back of your truck with the Snow Peak stove, and it probably doesn't look as at home in the drawer system of your FJ Cruiser.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
The sad part is product is made then marketed. A company does not receive thousands of requests for a titanium straw. A company assess the viability of product to sell based on market research/trends. Knowing there is a demographic for a titanium straw is crazy. A titanium straw is different than say $1000 sneakers or $200 baseball hat, etc. a straw is pretty specific and can only be recognized by other extremely superficial person.

I know you know business, so you understand supply and demand. The interesting part is how successful supply side, discretionary spending goods, is so successful when all you hear about is how shitty hard working Americans have it right now!!!

Another example of capitalism. Convince people how shitty they have it while simultaneously convincing them a $40 bucket will improve their life.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
What makes the Cook Partner stove significantly better than the Snow Peak stove? It puts out fewer BTUs and doesn't have legs, which means if you are using a standard camp table you are stuck leaning over to cook. I guess you don't get to hang an overland chic propane tank off the back of your truck with the Snow Peak stove, and it probably doesn't look as at home in the drawer system of your FJ Cruiser.

Hey hey hey I had a drawer system in my truck. Shit does that make me a snob? Drawers are the shit, but my OCD is clinical.

Nothing better than throwing anything in the drawers, latch down the pelicans, then run any trail at Rausch in 4 high and not have ANYTHING flying around.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
That is an interesting way to look at it. I would have assumed it is to reduce waste.

Come on man, a straw? If you need a straw to drink fluid let alone a titanium straw are you really concerned with overflowing land fills or littering?

If you are truly concerned with the reduction of waste the first order of business is assessing your habits and eliminating unnecessary items. For example, drinking implements. Take your own containers to the co-op for the bulk food instead of using the minimally recyclable bags etc.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
If you are truly concerned with the reduction of waste the first order of business is assessing your habits and eliminating unnecessary items. For example, drinking implements. Take your own containers to the co-op for the bulk food instead of using the minimally recyclable bags etc.

Like one of these?

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Also, I believe you honestly look at a titanium straw initially as a way to conserve. You live in Brooklyn now which is to say the green marketing is extremely effective...as a guide to spend more money than necessary.

It is great people are becoming renewable but the cost is nuts.

Shit, the stuff I buy at my local co-op costs typically 10% more at the Whole Foods, by my office. And the wellness/hygiene products at my local co-op are typically 10% less at the vitamin shoppe.

Marketing. Somehow you are more ecologically friendly when you shop at a Whole Foods? By spending more money? If you are really concerned with renewable/sustainable lifestyle why would you shop at a store that has a bigger bottled water selection than coffee beans?

Which is why I think someone buying a titanium straw is not as concerned as the act of sustainable lifestyle so much as the appearance of being concerned.