DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM

I've read and heard maybe the price curve on some of these Discos is on the way up. Not sure how nice a Disco would have to be to fetch 10 grand.

I've built a hand full of trucks like this and usually end up with right around 8 grand in them and nobody willing to spend that much. People might be getting interested but I'm not sure the price is moving yet.

This is why I thought it was silly to think about a $45,000 Disco with the wrong shit hacked into it. No more a NEW Disco than the ones any of us are driving or building now. If the price curve acts anything like it did with say Chevy, then there are lessons learned on how to play it. Special editions will be worth more. Anything that makes one of them significant. Like my neighbor has made a career out of selling chevy restorations and parts for restorations. He would find a car someplace and know enough about vin #s and the history of those cars to identify the real valuable shit. Like he found a Yanko Chevelle that he knew had to be a real early one. Come to find out it was Yanko Chevel #1 still had paper work showing it was Don Yanko's daily driver. Sold that car for crazy money fully restored. So I think a Camel Vehicle or a Trek vehicle would be good candidates.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 PM

Member Trucks
The asking prices on all D1/RRC's has gone way up, but I have no idea what they really sell for...
96 Disco SD - SOLD after 16 years
Old 02-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Needs to get a life

Member Trucks
Mine just sold for $10k, and I know many others that have too, mostly tdi swaps(which a few on here think have no value).

Save the last round for yourself. It'll be a blessed relief as the bear is wearing your guts as a hat.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM

I think diesel conversions are great. But you getting 10 grand for yours with the diesel in it probably didn't cover the cost of dong it. When I get to 8 grand I have new tires.go thru the swivel housings and brake calipers, Rear main and cross seals, seal the couple usual suspects on the t case, any or preferably all the oil cooler pipes for both engine and trans, poly bushings thru out. If you can buy a good truck for $3500 you can do all that and be around 8 grand if you don't need swivel housings. Then add about $750 if you do need swivel balls.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Needs to get a life

Member Trucks
It only didn't cover the cost because I did so many other things(including genuine swivel balls, and tons extra). I could do a conversion for much less than $10k if I were trying to do it on a budget. If you want to find a buyer for high dollars, you'll probably want to avoid Discos in general, or make it very unique(in a good way)q

Save the last round for yourself. It'll be a blessed relief as the bear is wearing your guts as a hat.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoPhoto View Post
It only didn't cover the cost because I did so many other things(including genuine swivel balls, and tons extra). I could do a conversion for much less than $10k if I were trying to do it on a budget. If you want to find a buyer for high dollars, you'll probably want to avoid Discos in general, or make it very unique(in a good way)q

I agree. To make the big money it's going to have to be a NAS Defender. I don't think most people will pay $12 grand for a Disco and from my experience that's what you would need to get. Even without the diesel.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Needs to get a life

Member Trucks
Best to go either RRC or Defender if you're looking for $$. Series will bring in money too, but not nearly the market Defenders have.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:44 AM

Member Trucks
$12k gets you:
- running but beater FJ40
- very high mile newer Tacoma
- highish mile older Tacoma
- highish mile 100 series LC
- fully locked good condition 80 series LC
- great condition GX470
- baller Range Rover/RRS
- two used 4th gen 4Runners
- a very fancy 2 door Wrangler
- early Wrangler Unlimited
- beater import 90 or 110

I don't think there is market for high dollar Discos as cool and capable as they are in reality.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I don't think there is market for high dollar Discos as cool and capable as they are in reality.
Of course there is. $12k is by no means "high dollar" price range.
In my beater, 285kmi, 96 D1 there's approximately $6k in aftermarket parts. It does not bring its price beyond $2k.
But, for a rare non-Cheap-Bastard (with modest wallet and no spare time to waste under a truck), a Disco 1 with a near-pristine body (which are plentiful in SoCal still), well set-up, is well worth $10+K.

BTW, I don't know what are the FJ/FZJ80 prices, but personally I have not seen one worth buying for less than $20k. And that's where they start to compete with Aussie imports.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:14 PM

Member Trucks
I see a bunch up here in Norcal around that range.

I should have explained more. I don't think the casual buyers are in the market there. Enthusiasts like those on here will spend $12k on there trucks that they know and love but buying a random one that is just nice or a market full of randos wanting stock Discos with rebuilt drivetrains is a pipe dream in my opinion.
I know there is that place in Georgia selling DIIs for almost $20k so I could be wrong.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoPhoto View Post
Mine just sold for $10k, and I know many others that have too, mostly tdi swaps(which a few on here think have no value).
I have been offered, serious offer not just some jack ass, $8k and $11k for my ?95 TDI. The 8k guy wants the TDI for a Defender, the other guy wants it as is. Thats with zero advertising, etc. I doubt you could do a TDI conversion for less than $8k these days. I know that good running TDI motors are getting rarer every day in Europe. My guess is a good motor and trans is going to run you $4k by the time it gets to your drive way. Just a side note, the two guys that want mine are tools, so I will be keeping it for the time being.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadvagas View Post
I have been offered, serious offer not just some jack ass, $8k and $11k for my ?95 TDI. The 8k guy wants the TDI for a Defender, the other guy wants it as is. Thats with zero advertising, etc. I doubt you could do a TDI conversion for less than $8k these days. I know that good running TDI motors are getting rarer every day in Europe. My guess is a good motor and trans is going to run you $4k by the time it gets to your drive way. Just a side note, the two guys that want mine are tools, so I will be keeping it for the time being.
So he's not a jack ass, just a tool?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Still Junior

Member Trucks
Quote:
$12k gets you:
- running but beater FJ40
- very high mile newer Tacoma
- highish mile older Tacoma
- highish mile 100 series LC
- fully locked good condition 80 series LC
- great condition GX470
- baller Range Rover/RRS
- two used 4th gen 4Runners
- a very fancy 2 door Wrangler
- early Wrangler Unlimited
- beater import 90 or 110

Add another $5k for a solid axle swap on those Toyotas = $17k! The Disco really is a bargain
Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Member Trucks
Why do you need a solid axle swap? If you "need" it you aren't buying a Disco as described.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM
KN4CBB

Member Trucks
Quote:
Why do you need a solid axle swap? If you "need" it you aren't buying a Disco as described.
I suspect he meant an SAS on the Toyotas.

'07 LR3
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454 View Post
I suspect he meant an SAS on the Toyotas.
I know what he meant. I'm saying if your needs demand a solid front axle you probably aren't buying a "mint" D1 with rebuilt drivetrain in stock configuration. It won't be a built D1 for $12k anymore. Now you're going to have an additional $5k or more in lift and lockers and axles etc.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Needs to get a life

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadvagas View Post
I'm sure you could. I didn't advertise mine for a second, a guy posted up looking for one, and I threw a fair number out based on what I had into mine. Many have gotten more than $10k

Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
So he's not a jack ass, just a tool?
Yes, there is a fine line of distinction! A jack ass is just a know nothing blow hard, a tool is a moderate ass hole that knows something and has resources.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Just to add my two cents... I have seen the market for local D1s
dry up Significantly. 5 years ago there was 5 to choose from on the local CL. One including a 5 speed. Now I have one pop up every 2 months or so. And they aren’t all good.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Still Junior

Member Trucks
Quote:
It was just cheap shot at Toyota. I thought we were Land Rover fanboys here.

I'd like to justify a clean D1 for daily driver use, but it just doesn't appeal to many people. You want an old car to put smiles on peoples faces when they see it. Discos don't seem to have that connection. Most Discos I see are just cheap cars to their owners. They look shabby and I can imaging all their friends have heard the owner complain about them breaking. That contributes to a general perception that Discos are undesirable. As long as sad Discos outnumber shiny ones owned by enthusiasts, they won't be valuable.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Member Trucks
I’ve seen the number of tattered Discos (including 2’a) and even P38s on the road go down over the last several years. I think many have been to neglected by their cheap ass previous owners they’ve finally been scrapped or parted. While total numbers may have gone down the % in decent shape or being parted on CL has grown over the ones beat to hell
Old 02-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbrox View Post
It was just cheap shot at Toyota. I thought we were Land Rover fanboys here.

I'd like to justify a clean D1 for daily driver use, but it just doesn't appeal to many people. You want an old car to put smiles on peoples faces when they see it. Discos don't seem to have that connection. Most Discos I see are just cheap cars to their owners. They look shabby and I can imaging all their friends have heard the owner complain about them breaking. That contributes to a general perception that Discos are undesirable. As long as sad Discos outnumber shiny ones owned by enthusiasts, they won't be valuable.
I don't buy a car to please other people. As long as it puts a smile on my face that's all that matters. I get people asking me about my D2 almost every time I drive it.. You don't get that with a Jeep JK or a Toyota unless its old FJ. The majority of Discos on the road these days are owned by enthusiasts. After the first few expensive repairs, the soccer moms and posers sell them off.
I see at least 5-6 tricked out JK's everyday.. I don't bat an eye.. but if I see the silhouette of what looks like a D1 or D2 It catches my eye every time. Even in stock form.

I don't see Land Rovers as an investment opportunity, but as a fun hobby to enjoy. Obviously the market for Defenders is absurd, but the people buying those $100k Defenders are just posers. Not true enthusiasts of the brand

Last edited by K-rover; 02-21-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Still Junior

Member Trucks
Maybe the number of beater Discos is regional. I see them all the time.

I agree that my opinions are more important when it comes to my own car. Personally, I like the low current prices. However, if you want/expect a general price increase, you need wider popularity. There's nothing intrinsically better about a Defender or G Wagon, but they're popular with enthusiasts and "normal" people. That pushes up prices.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:17 PM
KN4JHI

Damnit Stew, now I'm looking at Discos on Craigslist.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Member Trucks
Just did a craigslist search for "Land Rover" in the Raleigh, NC area. There are tons of L322, LR3, evoque..etc.. for sale, But only 3 D2's, No D1's, 1 RRC, 2 101 FC's, 1 Defender 130, 1 series IIA, and 1 D90 200TDI.

Not that long ago there were lots of D2's and at least 3-4 D1's.