Coolant expansion tank D2

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Yes. Had two fail on me prior and had a small leak begin a few weeks ago so went ahead and replaced it. The most common I’ve experienced is the nipple for the line like on the bottom of the reservoir. Just gets brittle over time

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
BMW unit is out of a 1988-1990 325i. Reservoir is slightly different as it doesn't have the nipple going to the TBH, however it does have a coolant temp sensor so if you could find the correct threaded cap you could slap on a nipple and then you could connect the TBH back up.

Also the lower nipple comes out straight vs at a 45 degree angle, but all you have to do is buy the 5.00 BMW lower hose cut off the 90, add an inline splice and that is taken care of.

The jug itself is much more HD.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
Yes. Had two fail on me prior and had a small leak begin a few weeks ago so went ahead and replaced it. The most common I?ve experienced is the nipple for the line like on the bottom of the reservoir. Just gets brittle over time

Yes the whole system seems to rot.

I went to a pull a part and collected all the D2/p38 resivors.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I've looked at Allisport - they make a sweet airbox but only for the diesel. Wish they made one with a round outlet pipe for the gas V8.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
That header tank is bad ass!
D2-TD5-V8-final.png

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Yeah the genuine ones have just as many issues as the aftermarkets. CARRS 4X4 is now producing an aluminum version that most parts suppliers sell now

Reactions: jastutte
One mate here has installed the Allisport one last year.
Yesterday I asked him how it turned out.
I was surprised because he told me that polycarbonate visor also cracked, and an aluminum plate had to be manufactured to finally finish with leaks!
"OAT" coolant must be something more caustic than older compound used in D1. At least there tank is 21 years old and -toke wood- still without leaks ...

Regards

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
One mate here has installed the Allisport one last year.
Yesterday I asked him how it turned out.
I was surprised because he told me that polycarbonate visor also cracked, and an aluminum plate had to be manufactured to finally finish with leaks!
"OAT" coolant must be something more caustic than older compound used in D1. At least there tank is 21 years old and -toke wood- still without leaks ...

Regards

OAT? Maybe not by necessity. There are a lot of variables, and it's been under development to better suit aluminum engines.

Dexcool itself? Absolutely. They pushed it too soon.

That shit ruined a hell of a lot of aluminum engines and, if that had happened today GM wouldn't have got away with it that clean.

Are you saying it ate the sight glass on the aluminum reservoir?

Cheers,

Kennith