I have the last Manual Land Rover ever imported.

ankeneering

Apr 21, 2017
wyoming
I have the last Manual Land Rover ever imported??

???At least, I think I do. Educate me if you can.
As we know the numbers for the manual trucks started out reasonably high in 94 and diminished until supposedly there were less than 100 (67 is the number that floats around) in 1997. There were no manual Defenders imported in 1997. I have the build date and VIN for special order #67 of supposed 67 and mine has a higher VIN and month younger build date. Anyone have any clues as to verifying?

JoeView attachment 57444

View attachment 57445

View attachment 57446

Last edited:

ankeneering

Apr 21, 2017
wyoming
So, rovers north gave me the name of the records guy for Land Rover North America, that may help but in the last day I've heard of one with a build date a month younger... so its not going to be the last unfortunately. The 5-speed disco xd thread currently on Bring A Trailer had someone claiming to have a younger one.

ankeneering

Apr 21, 2017
wyoming
to canada that got down here perhaps. But no Manual IIs in the states. Fun fact, in places other than the US p38s could be had with a clutch. sweet.

ankeneering

Apr 21, 2017
wyoming
There is an impressive, lengthy and photo documented conversion of a D2 to an r380 manual over on Land Rover forums dot com. My take on that was that it’s a much much bigger and more involved that any hopes of a “plug n play” novelty.

Disco 2 manuals are all over New Zealand.
D1 99% Manuals D2 70% Manuals in Argentina, most diesel engines.
R380 gearboxes on D2 are equipped with oil cooler (D1's have a bypass instead) And Dual mass flywheel clutch. Clutch switches working together with engine ECUs provide smoother gearchanges

...and ATF gear oil substituted by MTF 94 was a great improvement

Regards

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
Justin at Lucky8 had one he put a D1 transmission in. That crazy guy up in Maine who built fancy boats put a diesel and manual in one.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
IIRC, there even were manual D2s in the States.

Definitely not from the factory that way.

My understanding is that they stopped importing them due to the lack of a neutral safety switch. I know a few LR techs who have crushed, or come close to crushing, their tool boxes with manual Land Rovers.