Hot Dawg!

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
It came. It came. It finaly came.:D

I have been using Kerosene heaters in the shop for a few years now but I wanted something better and cheaper. Kerosene is almost $5.00 per gallon here and filling two heaters 3 times a week was getting pretty damned expensive. It also took about an hour to warm up the shop. So I says to myself (because no one else was around) I need better and cheaper heat. I went the cheap route first with a barrel stove. I bought the kit for $38.00, got a drum, and built the barrel stove. Unfortunately the stove pipe and chimney were going to cost over $400.00. This saved me from installing it.:banghead:

I finally settled on a Hot Dawg garage heater. Now I just have to hook her up. I'll add some pics as I go and any questions are welcome.

Attachments

• hd2.jpg
    hd2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 187
  • hd1.jpg
    hd1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 188
  • hd3.jpg
    hd3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 158

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Screws for the mounting brackets.
Mounted with the new supports.
I don't need no stinking ladder!
Hole saw for the thimble.

Attachments

• hd5.jpg
    hd5.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 95
  • hd6.jpg
    hd6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 82
  • hd7.jpg
    hd7.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 290
  • hd8.jpg
    hd8.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 87

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
The thimble through the wall with the pipe started.
The connection the rear of the heater.
Now on to some wiring.

Sadly I have run out of wiring clamps so I will have to get some tomorrow. I still need to measure for gas pipe too so I guess I'm done until the 100 gallon tank shows up.

Attachments

• hd9.jpg
    hd9.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 74
  • hd10.jpg
    hd10.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 83
  • hd11.jpg
    hd11.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 82

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Sweet! Two questions:

How much $ did that set you back? and

How big of an area is that going to be able to heat?

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
SGaynor said:
Sweet! Two questions:

How much $ did that set you back? and

How big of an area is that going to be able to heat?

The heater cost $486.00 with free shipping from an Ebay store. I didn't use Ebay I just called them up and ordered it. I will try to get a complete list up when I get it finished. I am still waiting on the tank.

It will heat a 2 to 2 1/2 car garage according to the sizing chart. It is 45,000 btu.

I'll try to get a link up tonight.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
CalebP said:
I was all comfortable and not planning on going back out, and now i have to go get a hostess apple pie.

:( The wife caught me photographing the snacks and she took them all away.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Tank + Thermostat = Flame!!!!!!:D

Got her all buttoned up today. She is fantastic. She is also suprisingly quiet. I would do some testing but the used tank is out of gas after a five minute test run.:banghead: Unfortunately the gas bastards aren't open on the weekend.

I did buy another regulator and hose to use grill tanks in case the big tank goes dry but I'm having some monster T-Bone steaks tonight and I can't disable the grill.

Attachments

• hd14.jpg
    hd14.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 60
  • hd13.jpg
    hd13.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 54
  • hd12.jpg
    hd12.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 60

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
O.K. Here are the numbers again. I typed all of this out yesterday but DWEB crashed when i tired to submit.

Heater = $486.00
3" through the wall pipe = $36.37
Thimble = $10.69
3" elbow = $3.09
Black pipe and fittings = $31.23
Univerasal gas hookup = $23.98
Thermostat = $1.00
Thermostat wire = $2.50
100 gallon regulator = $41.28
Tank fill = $66.00

Total = $702.48

I also have the adapter to run grill tanks and it cost $19.97 for the regulator and hose. It cost $2.16 for the coupler.

Pillowtrack

Oct 27, 2008
Well done. We usually surround propane tanks with a 6" think, U shaped cement barrier, just for safety (this tank could blow up a 5 floor brick building within seconds). The older system was placing sand sacks around it and between it and the building wall; this reduces the chances of fire getting to the tank (and potential damage)

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Thanks. The tank is below the grade of the garage floor in a no traffic area. It should be o.k. but if it does blow it will just put the shed into orbit and kill some hedges.:D

I should also correct myself on the tank size. It is a 100 lb tank not a 100 gallon tank. I don't know how many gallons it is. I got about a month out of the first tank but it wasn't filled all of the way. I got it filled again and it was $74.00.

I kept the temp at 75 on the T-Stat and the actual temp was between 70 and 80 due to the $1.00 t-stat. I'm going to run this tank at 65 to see how much difference it makes.

I run it about 3 hours a night and all day on the weekends.

So far it runs for about 1 minute per degree of heat. After the garage warms up it runs about 10 minutes on then kicks off for about 10 minutes depending on how cold it is.

Pillowtrack said:
Well done. We usually surround propane tanks with a 6" think, U shaped cement barrier, just for safety (this tank could blow up a 5 floor brick building within seconds). The older system was placing sand sacks around it and between it and the building wall; this reduces the chances of fire getting to the tank (and potential damage)

WHAT?

Under what circumstances do you find this to be even remotely necessary?

Even when I worked in industry, other than bollards, there were no other means of protecting propane tanks (think power plants, wire mills, auto parts factories). NFPA basically only states that propane tanks can't be inside inhabited buildings.

If propane tanks were nearly as dangerous as you seem to think they are, my neighbors and I would all be on borrowed time! Shit, when I was a little boy, there was a 500# propane tank right outside the kitchen window of the house!

I have a one ton propane tank beside my shop to heat my home and will be adding another 500 pounder for shop heat as soon as I get my 175K BTU furnace mounted.

Pillowtrack

Oct 27, 2008
ptschram said:
ptschram said:
Under what circumstances do you find this to be even remotely necessary?

I don't really know. It is kind of regulation or something. I guess some engineer could explain that.

Tanks the size you described are usually buried about 6 feet under ground, I never saw them on ground.

I guess the risk is explosion following a gas leak and a random spark of some sort (electric switch, static etc.)

I guess every region has it's own regulations...