realistically speaking...

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Realistically speaking what can expect to get out of a 1998 D1 with 164k? It is black with the usual paint fade on the hood, has a dent in the passenger door. Interior is in decent shape. It is a 7 seater. I might try and sell it to buy a truck. I dont really have a need for it other than it gets better milage than my built D2. Let me know what you think it is worth.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
You could probably advertise it locally on craigslist for a bit more than $2,000. Around the Seattle area private seller listing prices for trucks in that age/mileage range are mostly above that. If you have service history, all the interior gadgets work, and it doesn't have any major mechanical shortcomings then it can't hurt to start a little high and see if you get any bites.

cgerrells

Jul 7, 2010
North Georgia
disco_drum said:
Realistically speaking what can expect to get out of a 1998 D1 with 164k? It is black with the usual paint fade on the hood, has a dent in the passenger door. Interior is in decent shape. It is a 7 seater. I might try and sell it to buy a truck. I dont really have a need for it other than it gets better milage than my built D2. Let me know what you think it is worth.

I'm also in GA, and buy Rovers around here (Chattannoga) for 1000 to 2000 all day long. My 97 se7 ran me 2k even, with 96k original miles. My 96 cost me 1000 bucks 180k zero rust, perfect int and the same bush guard etc. Both where fully loaded dual sunroof etc...

Now, if everything was great, no rust, all options, great int. headliner, working sunroofs, no seal leaks, warning lights and resent cats/o2 sensor upgrade I've seen them running in the 4500 range. but again I'm talking a totally cherry ride.

cgerrells said:
I'm also in GA, and buy Rovers around here (Chattannoga) for 1000 to 2000 all day long. My 97 se7 ran me 2k even, with 96k original miles. My 96 cost me 1000 bucks 180k zero rust, perfect int and the same bush guard etc. Both where fully loaded dual sunroof etc...

Now, if everything was great, no rust, all options, great int. headliner, working sunroofs, no seal leaks, warning lights and resent cats/o2 sensor upgrade I've seen them running in the 4500 range. but again I'm talking a totally cherry ride.

You pay too much!

I won't go more than $500. Last thing I need is another one.

cgerrells

Jul 7, 2010
North Georgia
ptschram said:
You pay too much!

I won't go more than $500. Last thing I need is another one.

LOL! Yes, but mine are actually drivers. I keep buying them, as a "parts truck" and up fixing them and using them... I swear the next one I buy is to simply tear up and have fun with.

cgerrells

Jul 7, 2010
North Georgia
disco_drum said:

BTW, send me some pictures to cgerrells@ipicture.us If I like it and your wanting to get rid of it, I might buy it. But I'm going to be a cheap ass. I'll tell you right now that your going to be in the 1k range, simply because of the int condition, miles and body damage. You close enough to me that I could tow it home.

cgerrells

Jul 7, 2010
North Georgia
disco_drum said:
Why would you tow it home....it drives great. I drive it every day!

Because I would have to drive down by myself to get it and bring it back with one of my other rovers.

Offer stands. The 2 I already have are my drivers (well one is and one will be if I ever get done with it) But I would like a 3rd to strip down and have fun with.

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
Hehehe
Let the auction begin.....
Here in South Africa you would be paying the equivalent of at least 8000 USD for that truck. Very expensive 2nd hand market......
Go for a loooong Sunday drive and bring it down here. I'll give you 2,5k for it :)

cgerrells

Jul 7, 2010
North Georgia
Quentin said:
Hehehe
Let the auction begin.....
Here in South Africa you would be paying the equivalent of at least 8000 USD for that truck. Very expensive 2nd hand market......
Go for a loooong Sunday drive and bring it down here. I'll give you 2,5k for it :)

See, that's the issue, My 97 V8i (Se7) only had 93k original on it and was the original owner with all documentation, plus factory lift etc, I only gave 2k for it. From what your describing, yours in not in as good of shape, body int or mileage wise, so I wouldn't pay more for it.

My 96 requires more work, but int perfect (like new) absolutely no rust, perfect body also one owner but had 180k on it. I gave an even 1k for it. It required new shocks/springs, headliner, valley pan gasket, TPS, Cats, Header and Muffler, (had a full set of band new Michelins on it less than 2k miles documented) and new brakes also documented, plus a list as long as my arm of stuff the guy had repaired down at Rovers of Atlanta over the last few years. I'll have about 2500 in it DONE.

My point is, yours is going to require some body work painting, plus with the miles also is due for cats, o2 etc. With those mile, I would be surprised that it didn't need new gaskets someplace.. all that adds up making it worth about 1k to me as is.