DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > Technical Guides and Bulletins > Projects and Tech Guides

Projects and Tech Guides A curated section for member projects and member-produced guides.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Well I've had a good look at the space around the steering box, and I believe I can mount a regular Land Rover left hand drive steering box in its place, but on the outside of the chassis rail, like pm suggested. mounting it on the outside of the chassis will require some collateral rework
  1. I am going to have to relocate the chassis mount for the front axle panhard rod and customise the panhard rod length accordingly
  2. Although the intention is to use a LHD steering box, I will need to use the drop arm from a RHD one (which I already have of course) and customise the drag link length accordingly
  3. It looks like clearance of the ACE roll bar is going to be very tight, so I may need to tweak that too

The good news however, is that my initial concerns about the intermediate steering shaft clashing with the shock absorber turret appear unfounded, there appears to be plenty of clearance for that.

So I've ordered an LHD steering box, then it's out with the angle grinder again !
Old 03-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Still Junior

Can we see more photo's? Id love to see how its coming along as Im certain others would as well.

What OEM features are you going to need to give up for this conversion? AWD? TC? etc....
Old 03-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMocker View Post
Can we see more photo's? Id love to see how its coming along as Im certain others would as well.

What OEM features are you going to need to give up for this conversion? AWD? TC? etc....
Hi, yes I'm posting more and more pics as work progresses, unless there's something specific you want to see

None of the OEM features have been lost, quite the contrary in fact, with a lot of features from the more modern vehicles incorporated back into this.

AWD is available and in fact it has selectable 2WD, 4WD or 6WD, TC, HDC, ACE, ABS etc all available and enhanced from original and operating on all 6 wheels as well as additional convenience features such as auto lights, auto wiper, collision detection, lane departure warning, headway monitoring, intelligent high beam, speed limit indication etc - This vehicle is intended as a showcase for all the various ECUs so it has all the bells and whistles

The exterior is taking shape nicely now, the colour scheme is fixed and clean with only black and chrome. The black as I mentioned before is Santorini black as available on lastest Range Rovers etc, which is a gorgeous colour and is contrasted nicely by the various chrome finishes - The roof bars are chrome and the door handles are custom manufactured chrome also, quite different from the original D2, but it's the small touches that make all the difference.

The interior still needs a lot of work - I've finally got an upholsterer I trust, so work is beginning to happen, The interior is parchment leather and walnut - real walnut, not wood effect plastic. The door pulls (originally textured plastic) have been replaced with solid, turned walnut. The front seats are from an L322 Range Rover Westminster and have heating and cooling as well as 18-way electric adjustment with memory and even built-in massage. The rear seats are original D2, but have had heating elements added and media controls in the centre armrest. The seats in the very back are largely conventional, except there are 4 rather than the usual 2 making this a 9 seater. Headlining (extended), door cards and interior trim panels still need doing.

If you want any pics of any of this, let me know and I'll happily post them

Thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 01:17 PM

How about posting pic's and info on the drivetrain? I'm really curious to how your going to drive the rear axles
01 D2 (history) RuffStuff housings ARB/Detroit, custom radius arms/ 4 link rear, 14" Bling/ADS shocks 37" Creepy's, Ashcroft Under Drive, X-Brake, PSC hydro steering, Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles... all under a buggy now...

1983 RHD 110 Pick-up

Last edited by Mongo; 03-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
How about posting pic's and info on the drivetrain? I'm really curious to how your going to drive the rear axles
Lol, well that's the hardest bit to photo, but I'll have a go this weekend if the weather is up to it !

As for info, you can think of the front two axles and the rear axle as two separate systems;

The front two axles are fairly conventional in that they are driven though a ZF 8HP90 8-speed automatic transmission coupled to an NV225 transfer box which has electronic Hi/Lo range selection and "Torsen" limited slip diff driving to the front and 2nd axles via KAM locking differentials.

The rear axle has a YASA 3-phase AC motor with a 2:1 reduction gear and electronic dog clutch, also driving through a KAM locking differential.

In electric mode, the vehicle is 2WD with only the rear axle driven, the NV225 is in neutral and typically the petrol engine is off, though it can be spun up and synchronised (in terms of speed) before engaging gear in the transfer box if the batteries are getting low or we are approaching the maximum drive speed for the electric motor (c. 47mph)

Once the petrol engine takes over, we are in 4WD, the electric motor is typically disengaged (by means of the dog clutch), although it can be left connected while the motor controller goes into regen mode, allowing the batteries to be recharged from the motion of the vehicle. Regen can continue to operate up to about 85mph after which the motor must be disconnected to prevent destructive rotational speeds

6WD has two modes of operation - conventional (so to speak), the electric motor is synchronised to maintain the same speed as the petrol drive train for use in low traction conditions (snow, mud etc). In sports mode, the electric motor is there to "fill in" the gaps in the petrol torque curve. To this end, in WOT (wide-open throttle), it does not try to synchronise to the engine speed, but rather puts down as much torque as it can without breaking traction, allowing the petrol drivetrain to catch up, this gives maximum acceleration.

Horsepower Curves

Torque Curves

Hope that gives you some idea of what's going on, as I said, I'll get underneath and try to get some decent pics if the weather stays dry (this is Britain after all ! )
Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 PM

those axle look pretty close to each other and the diffs are in-line with each other so I'm curious as to how your going to do the drive on the 2nd axle.
01 D2 (history) RuffStuff housings ARB/Detroit, custom radius arms/ 4 link rear, 14" Bling/ADS shocks 37" Creepy's, Ashcroft Under Drive, X-Brake, PSC hydro steering, Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles... all under a buggy now...

1983 RHD 110 Pick-up
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Rear axle is electric only. Impressive work.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Yes exactly, there is 41" between the rear axles, so I needed a compact solution, every mechanical solution I could find came with its own list of problems, but the electric rear axle solved all of those in one go. The YASA motor was chosen because it is very compact and very powerful, and there is still room between the axles for the reservoir tank for the air suspension !
Old 03-10-2017, 09:24 PM

When I first started reading this I thought you were off your twig, but the level of thought and execution demonstrated so far is brilliant. I think this is one of the most interesting, and certainly most unique projects I have ever seen an individual take on. Kudos to you for taking the challenge, keep the updates coming.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:20 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Well the weekend was soaking (no surprise there), so I've not managed to take any photos yet or make any progress, but I have received the chrome door handles and they look gorgeous. The process is quite extensive - copper plating, then nickel plating and finally chrome, but the result is gorgeous, and much nicer than painted or wrapped in my opinion, what do we think ?

Old 04-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
A few pics of the interior, you can see from these pics that there is still a LOT of work to do, but you can see the L322 seats clearly here

This shows a view of the dash, although the actual dash is out right now while I sort out some wiring, you can see the L322 steering wheel here too and VIP - The LCD instrument panel

And finally a close up of the instrument panel through the steering wheel
Old 04-02-2017, 01:32 PM

Old 04-02-2017, 09:25 PM

so the farthest rear axle is electric only?

1983 RHD 110 Pick-up
Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
so the farthest rear axle is electric only?
Yes exactly, it was a lot easier than trying to arrange a complex and compromised mechanical drive arrangement and came with all sorts of benefits
Old 04-25-2017, 06:46 AM

Member Trucks
Epic!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
I haven't done an update for a while, and as I finally got glass in the monster today, I thought I would add some pics

All the back windows are blacked-out limo glass, which I think looks good in the colour scheme, the fronts are of course a much gentler shade which looks a little odd, but keeps the police happy !

The windscreen is of course not tinted, but is heated - must get around to painting the headlight trim and bumper caps at some point ! I have a new and rather special grille to go on at some point too, but I'll save that for a later update

Another side view, there are new wheels to come of course, but again, more on that later

And the back, the registration is not valid any more of course as DVLA have deemed that she is going to be Q reg, and the rear light clusters are out, as they are currently being modded, again something really special coming in a future update !

So now she is water-tight ! this is a major milestone and means I can work on the interior even if it's raining ! I'm expecting to seriously accelerate progress now !
Old 05-27-2017, 05:06 PM

How close is it to being driveable? I'm curious to know how it handles with the extra wheelbase and second rear drive axle.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 05-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
How close is it to being driveable? I'm curious to know how it handles with the extra wheelbase and second rear drive axle.
With luck, I should start road tests in the next month
Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Any progress? Did they lock you up for cheating emissions at Bosch?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM

I think you need Safety Devices to build you 1.5 racks to go with the ladder, it would make it. You could have a roof top patio. Looking forward to road test updates, please post video when you actually get it driving.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTyrrell View Post
Any progress? Did they lock you up for cheating emissions at Bosch?
Lol, don't blame me for the scandal !

I have done some very short tests this weekend and there is a major vibration coming from the drivetrain almost as soon as you pull off. Myself and a mechanic friend of mine have had a good look and the conclusion is that the spacer between the gearbox and transfer box is not correct resulting in a small but critical misalignment of the two boxes.

We have taken them off the car right now and my friend will take a closer look tomorrow to see how bad we are talking, and if it can be modified, or if we need to fabricate a new one

More as it happens !

Last edited by dave658; 06-12-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Well, couple of new updates :-

The new transfer box adapter plate is in

A good solid lump of aluminium

And here it is on the gearbox

Hopefully this will sort out my misalignment problem

The second item of news is that the rear light clusters are back

This is the lights on view

And brakes too

I can't show you the indicators yet, as it needs some new software on the REC which I haven't got round to writing yet, but the indicator is a 19x8 bitmap array, so I can do animations (like the new Audis, only better and 2D !) and I can do images - I kind of see indication as being a running chevron > > >, you know the kind of thing, but I can always change it later if I get bored

I will post indicator images once I get them up and running.

The centre high-level brake light is also LED, but I hadn't wired it up yet for these photos, I'll post an update on this at a later date too.

I also have the reversing/fog light units, which are also LED, but as you can see, I don't have a rear bumper yet - so nowhere to mount them !
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
Headlights are wired up, but surprisingly hard to photograph !

These are the sidelights on

This is dipped beam

Main beam

Main beam at twighlight

I have programmed the FEC to switch off the angel-eye sidelights once the headlights are on right now, but I may change my mind on that at some point.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Member Trucks
As stated earlier in this thread, this project is impressive in the level of thought and execution going into it. I'd bet many around here thought you were just gonna hack some thing together, but you sir are really working this thing well.

RAVE in pdf:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...FdyX1VQMS1iN00
Discovery I exploded parts diagrams....
http://www.allbrit.de/NAV.cfm?SPRACHE=EN&PAGE=491338
Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Almost There...

Member Trucks
OK,

The gearbox is back in the car, these are just a few pics before it went in, showing the new adaptor plate in situ