2003 DII 7-Pass Rebuilt 4.6 - $10,500 Chlt, NC

Greg Davis

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Bought this 18 months ago for my 16 yo daughter (rides horses so good for being on farm, hauling saddle, ect). 3 mos before she got her license a liner slipped. Rig was too nice to scrap so I tore down the engine and did the following:

sent block to D&D in MI for flanged liners
new Crower 229 cam & lifters
new pushrods
D&D rocker arm girdles
new timing chain & gears
new oil pump
new water pump
new radiator
new fan clutch
new radiator
crank turned .010 over
pist/conn rod assemblies all balanced to within 1 gram of each other
heads gone through by Sellars Mach in Chlt (they do alot of Nascar work)
new rad/coolant hoses & t-stat
new coolant resevoir
new p/s hoses
new belt
new battery
new starter
and of course all new gaskets, seals, bearings, ect
new Atturo XT 285/60R-18 tires (5)
new knock sensor
new purge valve

I have receipts for most everything.

On rig when bought:

Full roof rack (brand unknown)
4 forward HID lights
2 rearward HID lights
2 front HID lights on factory A-bar
spacer lift (about 1.5")
upgraded front driveshaft with grease-able u-joints

I've added:

front prototype DII Greg Davis winch bumper (no fairlead slot because daughter doesn't have winch)
genuine rear ladder
replaced both a-pillar trim
replaced d/s rear b-pillar trim
repl front driver seat cushion and heater
repl coin/ash tray mount so compartments spring out like they should

I removed factory flares because they were faded.

Paint on hood, roof, and entire rig is good. Headliner is good. Sunroofs work and don't leak(!).

Might be a few small things I've left out ( I knew I forgot something....new coil packs, plug wires, and platinum plugs). Runs great - cruises at 85 EASILY! Daughter is having to drive to not only HS classes but is also starting early college classes so needs something more efficient. I'd keep it but I still have my 2000 and my daily commute is 50 mi/day. One of the nicer examples you'll find. Ready to get in and drive cross-country if needed to - as solid of a DII as you'll find. You;d spend more than this to duplicate this rig.

Last edited:

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
So am I totally off-base with my price considering what has been done?

That's a tough question to answer. You have a number in mind that reflects how you value the truck, the work you've put into it, and the upgrades. In my observation the Discoweb market tends to place a lower value on complete trucks than do many sellers.

I probably would not offer one of my personal vehicles for sale here because I've been around enough to understand this dynamic. Detail the truck, document your investments and improvements, take video of the engine running along with live engine data, and post it on ebay or craigslist. You'll get a better price. Especially if you are patient.

Discoweb is a relatively small pool swimming with savvy fish and cheapskates. Cast a wider net in a bigger pool and you'll get better results. The handful of auctions that get linked to here are proof that there are buyers out there who are willing to pay a lot of money for rare or mechanically sound Rovers.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
You;d spend more than this to duplicate this rig.

no doubt about this.

just need to find the right Rover person who will appreciate that concept.

I'm looking for a Winter vehicle that is cheap enough that I will not care if it rusts in a few years due to the salt, etc. crap used on the roads around here.

this one is too nice to do that.

GLWS

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Nice truck, envious of the engine work.

Front bumper looks nice & clean. Are you marketing these bumpers yet?

Greg Davis

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Nice truck, envious of the engine work.

Front bumper looks nice & clean. Are you marketing these bumpers yet?

Why yes, yes I am. I was a very stealthy launch.:victory:

Same tubing as rear on outriggers (.188 wall) with entire winch basket made of 1/4" plate. Will fit all available winches, both forward and foot mounted. All fully boxed, so again like the rear, no folded metal here. Weight is approx. 85 lbs.

And thank you for the kind words. I try to keep my designs where the form follows function and to make them as minimalistic and unobtrusive as possible.

Greg

And sorry, but no DI stuff.