Overland Expo West 2016

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Garrett, are you guys going to be at EXPO East at the Biltmore this year?

I'll go if you'll teach your milkshake technique....

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Garrett, are you guys going to be at EXPO East at the Biltmore this year?

I'll go if you'll teach your milkshake technique....

I've already "wheeled" at the Biltmore in Kelly's VW. I'll be in Vermont the weekend before at what I consider the best off-road event on the East. I'll be doing the same as last year - trailering up the KTM and staying for another week touring around VT and NH while making some stops along the IPA Highway.

I've moved on passed milkshakes now Jeff. Get with the program. My two "cooking" priorities are now my wood fired pizza oven and home made ice cream. I've gotten the pizzas dialed in, but still perfecting ice cream recipes. Cookies and cream and nutter buttery vanilla are the top two. I've had requests of Nutella and various berries from my 4.5 year old, so it appears those are in order. This is not to say that I can't mix in some hippie milk and make milkshakes.

I'm having some labels made up and will keep some on hand, so when you're back in these parts for a fancy horse or car parade let me know. I know a guy that knows an ice cream guy.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Holy hell. 25mph sustained winds with gusts to 50. I camped in the forest, so I wasn't affected by most of the winds. People in the re-opened lake bed moved elsewhere. One group of campers decided to leave at 3a (I don't think they were Rover owners).

The event had everything you ever wanted for your Jeep er.. Rover. I talked to a bunch of trailer builders for ideas and prices. Only bought a few small items, including a fire starter. I learned more about starting a fire and what wood to hunt for from a vendor than I would have from a class. (also talked to the guy about his Westy for 10 minutes).

I had a good time driving up with fellow Rover owners and met up with a couple of people from the FB off-road trailer group. Lots of looks for the RRC, bunch of questions about the trailer, especially the solar setup. Even in the woods, my battery ran my Dometic/Waeco fridge perfectly. 13.1 volts in the morning, 13.6v in the evening (Optima blue top).

The BFG guy talked to me for a while about new tires. Actually recommended the KO2s over the KM2s for what type of driving I do. I'm looking at new tires before the end of the year, so I'll research those.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
The BFG guy talked to me for a while about new tires. Actually recommended the KO2s over the KM2s for what type of driving I do. I'm looking at new tires before the end of the year, so I'll research those.

I never understood the huge love for the KM2 as a DD tire. The KO2 is such a more versatile tire and performs better in more conditions. Not to mention the KO2 is relatively quiet and wears really well.

8,000 people at the event.......another reason why I love the VT event that much better.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
your anemometer is broken…we were camping in the forest and had 35mph sustained and gusts over 60mph. the lake bed had to be a lot worse and no way that there was 8000 people there, 5k tops

It was fucking lame…sorry for being brutal, but it's really turned into a "bike" event and caters to the people dropping sick cash for classes to watch Camel trophy guy's rig a 8 to 1 pull with 1000' feet of rope or some numbnutz with a full exo-caged Four-runner roll it over and struggle to right it. Oh, sure, you can go drive new LR on a cool muddy course, or watch "vendors" (Garrett you are 100% correct about this) try and teach recovery, all the wrong way after dropping said sick cash.

We had a group of 10 or 12 "yota" guy's camping near us and we had a ball listening to them rip it to shreds (not because of the fucking wind). One guy spent 3 hours arguing to get his money back because he had to tell the "instructor" where to lash a strap on his truck and have absolutely no clue about vehicle recovery.

It's seems to have turned into a "special" event were unless you wear 3k worth of bike clothes and drive a Earthroamer it really is a waste of time…

Most of the vendors had the same crap that can be bolted onto everything under the sun except LR's…the same shit that's been displayed for the last 4 years with really nothing new. The best is listening to the cheap bastards trying to negotiate a lower price and beg for a "show" discount. One dude at the Sierra booth "thought" he got a "smoking deal" on a set of lockers. Turns out that if you went to the website, the price was less, including shipping (yes, there was cell coverage) and had more fun watching him go back and try and get his money back…

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
The whole "ExPo build" thing seems like it has totally gone off the rails this year. Either it's headed for the mainstream or this whole thing is a fad that's going to die off with the next recession.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The whole "ExPo build" thing seems like it has totally gone off the rails this year. Either it's headed for the mainstream or this whole thing is a fad that's going to die off with the next recession.

Considering there are this many dealerships selling AEV trucks, I would say it is pretty mainstream.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 13.18.01.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 13.18.01.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 19

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Not the prettiest solution... but those bins last a lifetime. I have one that's at least 20+years old. Would I strap it on my roof rack... hell no! It holds my charcoal under my porch.

I just couldn't get past a $145 mount for a $35 box.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Not the prettiest solution... but those bins last a lifetime. I have one that's at least 20+years old. Would I strap it on my roof rack... hell no! It holds my charcoal under my porch.

I'm sure they do. The appeal of those storage boxes is the quality for the price. It makes no sense to spend that much on a mounting system for them. You could buy three Pelican cases or Zarges boxes and three ratchet straps for the same amount of money.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
I do love my 12 year old Actionpacker...even with its cracks and wrinkles.

So, who's up for Expo East at the Biltmore Estate??