1977 SIII 88 project

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I have finally come to the conclusion that I will most likely never get around to finishing this project and I can use the garage space and money elsewhere.

Located in Holly Ridge, NC.

Asking $7000 OBRO, its posted on CL also.

IT DOES NOT CURRENTLY RUN however +/-90% of the parts are there to complete it.

The vehicle is a former British Army home market short wheel base Land Rover. Basically it was a civilian Rover that was painted green and used at bases in the UK and not meant for front line use. It was brought to Uganda by a British diplomat and then changed hands a few times before I bought it.

After a few decades of hard use the original frame needed replacement, which is how I got it to where it is today. I purchased a galvanized frame for it and began the swap, during this time I developed a dreaded disease that cripples many projects like this: ship fitters disease. When it set in i went around trying to fix or upgrade every little thing I could think of on the truck. I will try to sum all the work I have done here: removed rot from bulkhead and POR15'd it, truck bed liner used on bulkhead, sound deadening and vibration reducing matting added, new brake lines, new master cylinder, new turn signals, all previous wiring removed and fitted for a wiring harness, Defender seats with new foam and covers, seat heaters, waterproof seat covers.

The engine is a stock 2.25 gas engine that was rebuilt a few years ago, a 2.5 cam was added, Pierce manifold with Weber 32/36 carb, header, electric fan, 10si alternator (not stock but a huge upgrade).

I have 2 windshields, one for a hard top and one for a soft top, defender door tops (aluminum frames and not steel like the original so they don't rot), hoops for soft top (missing some small parts), swing away tire carrier, Ike Goss hitch, tufty security center console with radio, tufty speaker boxes/storage boxes. Tons of other little things too.

The winch and mount in the picture are NOT included.

If your the kind of person who is good with a wrench and has time this would be good for you. I have several shop manuals to help with the reassembly and will be more than happy to assist you in getting it put back together.

Clear Ohio title in hand. It will need to be pulled home or put on a flatbed. I have a pull bar attached to it, which will come with the truck.

Cash or cert bank check only.

Not looking for trades, but ask. All I can say is no, or ask to add some $$$ to it.

More info :

It needs at a minimum a radiator and a steering relay if you want it to be left hand drive.

There is a set of defender seats, but they are completely disassembled, there is new foam and a good set of covers for the seat backs, new seat bottoms, waterproof covers, and seat heaters. I have enough frame bottoms to make 2 good sets, just need to disassemble one set to get the mounting brackets.

Wiring harness is a custom hot rod setup with a modern fuze block. I set it up to have a quick disconnect incase you have to take the seat box off to change the transfer case or transmission. The battery and fuze box are stored under the seat in a box. There are new turn and running lights. The headlights are Hella upgrades with the replaceable element.

The steering shaft assembly needs rebuilt, it is disassembled and all the parts are there. You can just reassemble it or buy a rebuild kit for new bearings.

There are 2 of the 3 hoops needed for a soft top as well as a windshield set up for a soft top and another set up for a hard top. The hoops are from a Zimbabwean police truck and the middle hoop is missing as are the supports for the middle hoop.

The engine is partially disassembled, the intake and exhaust need to be reattached along with the alternator. The exhaust is a header and needs to have custom exhaust made for it or you can use what i had on there which is a magnaflow with pipe that exited under the driver side. I would suggest either getting the header modified or getting a new manifold. the one that comes with it sits low and can catch stuff on it when your off road. It has an electronic ignition that replaced the points made by petronics. The engine ran really well before I disassembled it.

The intake is a pierce model for a weber 32/26 DGV. It needs tuned or you can sell it and get a stock intake and a 1 barrel weber.

I have the front and rear driveshafts, but the splines on the front drive shaft are starting to wear out and it should be replaced eventually.

There are new brake lines and new master cylinder. There needs to be a bit of finishing up to get it connected properly.

There is a new clutch master-cylinder. The clutch and throw out bearing only have around 2K miles on them.

There is a swing away tire carrier that was made in Zimbabwe with it too.

Tuffy center console with a radio, Tuffy speaker/storage boxes that go in the load space.

Doors are original but the door tops are from a LR 90 and are aluminum framed vice steel framed like the series tops were. There are no door locks that work or that i have a key to.

Ignition may need to be fabricated or purchased. Right now i was going with a battery master switch, ignition on, and a momentary starter switch.

I started to replace some of the frame bushings for the springs, there are a couple new ones in the parts box.

The springs are good but need bushings, you can order them from Wise Owl/Rocky Mountain Rovers in Canada where the springs were made. Shocks are still good, they are Old Man Emu.

I have several boxes of bolts and other various parts.
View attachment 57403

View attachment 57404

View attachment 57405

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
On another note, does anyone know how to keep the pictures from doing what ever the fuck they want when you upload them? They were all in proper direction and now they are all sideways... Sorry.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The hoops are from a Zimbabwean police truck and the middle hoop is missing as are the supports for the middle hoop.

Is that because the police damaged the middle hoop with the head of an MDC supporter in 2008?

Sounds like it will be a cool truck (once finished) with a neat history. My hands are full with 2 Rovers at the moment, otherwise I'd be tempted.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
That's a sweet little truck. Kinda wish I was single without 2.5 kids.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
If you just need a place to store it, I've got room.

Thanks man, i have room though, I can fit 3 cars in this garage....

My wife and I had a rather frank discussion the other day about it. We both have a lot of sentimental emotional attachment to it, however it has 0 points for practicality. 2 little kids and a 2 seat Series truck wont work very well. Even if i put seats in the back, it will just be a beach runner at best, or a cool truck to drive to work in.

That and we are seriously discussing a possible 5 year plan to go back to Zimbabwe. We would have to get rid of it anyways. I know a Series truck seems at home in Africa, but with the amount of stupid drivers over there the Series would be a death trap.

My D2 and D3 do much more, and are much safer too.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
That and we are seriously discussing a possible 5 year plan to go back to Zimbabwe.

My wife and I are having the same conversation about moving to South Africa, although I could easily be convinced to move back to Harare instead. Our families should meet up in Botswana.

What would you want to do in Zim and where would you want to live?

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
My wife and I are having the same conversation about moving to South Africa, although I could easily be convinced to move back to Harare instead. Our families should meet up in Botswana.

What would you want to do in Zim and where would you want to live?

Im looking into a few things, possibly working for the embassy. The family has a business there still, although not ideal it might be something to get into given the right circumstances. Id love to get into the counter poaching business, or at least training the rangers. Unfortunately i have a rather specific skill set that doesn't transfer well into the civilian side. However that may be changing with a gig i am hopefully getting into soon.

Unless i get a gig working in Kariba, Harare would be where would live. Possibly in the Avondale area, or if things work out right, on the North Eastern side of Harare.

Still lots of variables to work out, and need to see how this election goes. The wife and I are both very interested in going back.

Botswana would be awesome, never been there.