Rollover 97 Defender at COPart Seattle

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
It would probably be a decent ride with a little work, but it's a '97.

That means emissions, which kind of takes a little bit of the fun out of owning an old tinfoil tractor.

Cheers,

Kennith

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Not sure how a year affects emissions. Everywhere I have lived it just depended on the county regulations.

Not here. They only test OBDII vehicles. So my 94 D1 is exempt. I understand what Kennith is saying. Keeping old vehicles up to current emissions standards can be a real pain.
Being emissions exempt means if I want to lose the catalytic converters, I can. If I want to throw in a Mercedes diesel or carbureted chevy motor, I can and I won't have worry about not passing emissions.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Huh. Never heard that before. Would expect emissions on West Coast and New England states despite of the year. Even some counties in VA didnt have those, unless you were closer to DC.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Huh. Never heard that before. Would expect emissions on West Coast and New England states despite of the year. Even some counties in VA didnt have those, unless you were closer to DC.

They used to put your vehicle on the "treadmill" here and measure the actual emissions from the tail pipe. There were issues with peoples car transmissions getting ruined. Now they just hook up to the OBDII port and fail you for ANY code you have, whether its emissions related or not.
They're real finicky about hooking up to the OBDII port, too. On my 96 D1 I had removed the plastic covering below the steering wheel and just had the port tucked in the trans tunnel. I pulled it out so they could hook to it and they refused because the "OBDII port was not secure and someone could trip over their cable and cause damage to my vehicle". :banghead: I had to use four zip ties to secure it before they would hook to it.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
76 and newer gets tested in my area. They don't do a tread mill on the older ones but they test and you can fail pretty easily. Good paying job if you like to not really work and be treated like an expert of nothing.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Such a damn racket; emissions and other stuff. Got a buddy in CA w a lifted Jeep and a bunch of other tuff. He was told he'd have to more or less go back to stock in order to register it.