Rollover 97 Defender at COPart Seattle

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
They're real finicky about hooking up to the OBDII port, too. On my 96 D1 I had removed the plastic covering below the steering wheel and just had the port tucked in the trans tunnel. I pulled it out so they could hook to it and they refused because the "OBDII port was not secure and someone could trip over their cable and cause damage to my vehicle".
I failed a smog test in Georgia for the OBD port not being secured but those dipshits were the ones that broke it! I used my scanner that same morning to check for codes before the smog test and it wasn't broken then. Luckily the OBD port snapped back into place but I had to come back the next day because you had to retest after 24 hours. Jeez...
But it passed though.
Such a damn racket; emissions and other stuff.
Hell yeah.

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
Crazy, on my D1 I experienced the same inspection-guy/dangling-OBD2-plug conundrum!

I'm liking those plug non-foulers though! In the future they may persuade me to consider a 96+ LR. At present I'm more than pleased with my '95 14cux OBD1 LWB.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Crazy, on my D1 I experienced the same inspection-guy/dangling-OBD2-plug conundrum!

I'm liking those plug non-foulers though! In the future they may persuade me to consider a 96+ LR. At present I'm more than pleased with my '95 14cux OBD1 LWB.

Has anyone found non-foulers that will fit a D1?

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
Here in NC (I think it is still) anything 1995 or before only needs a safety inspection. They cost less than the full inspection and they basically check if it has seat belts and working headlamps.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Such a damn racket; emissions and other stuff. Got a buddy in CA w a lifted Jeep and a bunch of other tuff. He was told he'd have to more or less go back to stock in order to register it.

CA doesn't care about accessories or lifts. He probably doesn't have a stock exhaust system and some other engine mods or emissions component deletions. That will definitely be a fail.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
CA doesn't care about accessories or lifts. He probably doesn't have a stock exhaust system and some other engine mods or emissions component deletions. That will definitely be a fail.

Yup, not a stock exhaust. Hence why he is registering it out of state since his wife is active duty.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
My neighborhood does emissions.
What a scam.
Purchased-new vehicles get an automatic pass for several years.
They have "roadside emissions tests"; if you pass by enough of them over a year, without having black smoke pouring out your back end, you don't have to take the test.

The most-often test fail is when the tards try to do the vacuum test on the gas cap.
Twice, they told me I failed that.
I pulled out, looped right back in line (where a different "tech" is working) and immediately passed.

Even if you're exempt from test (new car or roadside), you still have to pay the $25/year.

But, you know, it's for the children, so it's okay.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Your neighborhood?? Like a HOA thing?

My neighborhood does emissions.
What a scam.
Purchased-new vehicles get an automatic pass for several years.
They have "roadside emissions tests"; if you pass by enough of them over a year, without having black smoke pouring out your back end, you don't have to take the test.

The most-often test fail is when the tards try to do the vacuum test on the gas cap.
Twice, they told me I failed that.
I pulled out, looped right back in line (where a different "tech" is working) and immediately passed.

Even if you're exempt from test (new car or roadside), you still have to pay the $25/year.

But, you know, it's for the children, so it's okay.