St. Augustine, FL

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Just figured I'd share a recent trip to St. Augustine. Great city with tons of history. We always do the hop on/hop off tours and have used Old Town Trolley in the past; great way to see a city. Had a great tour at St. Augustine Distillery and the Iceplant restaurant (attached to it) was great as well. The winery just down the street had some great wines as well. The highlights tho were hitting up the alligator farm and the wild reserve (tons of tigers, lions, wolves, etc.; well worth a visit). The Old Jail was pretty cool too; same guys that built Alcatraz later. Aside from crazy humidity it was a great trip. Would highly recommend staying at the luxury Inn and gardens; walkable to everything and a cool place w some very involved bartenders at the property bar called The Well. The meal at Casa Brava (part of hotel Casa Monica was phenomenal; only 2 blocks down from our hotel). St. George St. Is just a few blocks away; some touristy shops and tons of restaurants, to incude a great NYC style pizza joint.

Maybe we can have a travel section here since at times folks ask for suggestions?

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
Totally agree; St. Augustine is awesome. I also strongly advocate staying in St. Augustine Beach and making the very short drove to downtown St. Augustine.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Totally agree; St. Augustine is awesome. I also strongly advocate staying in St. Augustine Beach and making the very short drove to downtown St. Augustine.

Yeah, that bridge is a super short drive. Only thing if you have a few drinks; pays to stay 'downtown.' That way no Uber, etc.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Grew up in FL and went to St Augustine as a kid but haven’t been back. Have heard good things from others also so I’ll need to revisit at some point

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Definitely a good spot to visit, but maybe not in the summer.

Having the ability to go to the beach is nice but a tradeoff with the heat/humidity as you know in Savannah. Speaking of which I need to get back down to check out the LR/Jag Heritage facility once it?s finished