long travel shocks

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I am ready to buy some long travel shocks for the rear of my d2. I am getting ready to do the panhard swap in the rear and want the most flex i can get! I am having trouble searching for shocks via online suppliers....they all want the make and model of my vehicle (I assume for liability purposes). Which shocks should it get? I don't need gold plated ones or any shock that would require me to sell my internal organs to pay for them....

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Compressed length shorter than mount to mount when its on the bump stops. Extended length longer than mount to mount at uncompressed spring length. Any more is pointless, there wont be any traction on that corner with more flex than that

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
K-rover....what "specs" do I need? What compressed and extended length do I need?

To get the best performance you need to take a measuring tape and crawl under your truck. Every lift is slightly different. I have 11" fox emulsion 2.0's with a 4" lift. I could have ran 12" shocks, but as it is I dont use all 11" of travel. Even with the rear panhard bar. I would guess 10" or 11" would work for you, but you need to measure to make sure. You need to make sure that you are not over extending or bottoming out your shocks. The ESHOCKS page gives you all the dimensions so you can compare that to your measurements. Then the next question is valving.. I cant remember what valving I got on mine. You can probably search here and find out what most people are running. The valving numbers are proprietary to the manufacturer. So the numbers for Fox wont match the numbers for Bilstein. (FYI)

THe fox shocks require trimming of the rear upper mounts and removing the captive nut from the bottom. You will also need the step down spacers for the rear uppers.

The Bilstein should fit witout trimming, but I cant confirm that.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
OK....so don't condemn me to the dweb hall of fame...I have been running pro comp ES9000 shocks since I installed my lift roughly 11 years ago. I have had absolutely 0 issues with them and I have beat the absolute hell out of them. My truck is only a trail truck and gets wheeled about 5-6 times a year. I found a ProComp ES9000 with similar lengths to the Bling's and Fox's listed above. Is there any reason (other than I am stupid and I would be better off using stalks of celery as shocks) that these would not suffice?!?! I can get them for under 50 bucks each....

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
OK....so don't condemn me to the dweb hall of fame...I have been running pro comp ES9000 shocks since I installed my lift roughly 11 years ago. I have had absolutely 0 issues with them and I have beat the absolute hell out of them. My truck is only a trail truck and gets wheeled about 5-6 times a year. I found a ProComp ES9000 with similar lengths to the Bling's and Fox's listed above. Is there any reason (other than I am stupid and I would be better off using stalks of celery as shocks) that these would not suffice?!?! I can get them for under 50 bucks each....

Give them a shot.. worst case you're out $100.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC

I used to think my ProComps worked ok until I bought real shocks. Performance and ride quality is night and day. Now I’ll never run them again. But if the PC’s work for you. It’s your truck.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Is there any reason (other than I am stupid and I would be better off using stalks of celery as shocks) that these would not suffice?!?! I can get them for under 50 bucks each....

the piston size is a lot bigger on monotube shocks of the same diameter like the bilstiens, so you can get more damping from the oil and more preload out of the gas charged portion. They also publish the specs, so you know what the hell youre buying instead of shocks that fit a certain car.

monotube does have down side. You can smash the body of a rancho or procomp and not do any functional damage since the outer portion is the gas charged area. a monotube will not travel past the dent. I did that to a set of rs5000, but no big loss, the truck was way underdamped with those. I see why 90s show trucks had 4 of them at each corner.