ACE Suspension

Gail

Sep 1, 2008
Washington
Our 2001 Disco II with 155,000 miles rocks from side to side with the occasional grinding noise.
We are trying to decide if that points to the Accelerometer above the mirror, the pressure transducer, or fuses. We usually get the amber ACE light. The rocking does not happen at highway speeds. It tends to show itself to anyone following as we reduce speed at a stoplight. I hate that people see the Disco doing this.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Our 2001 Disco II with 155,000 miles rocks from side to side with the occasional grinding noise.
We are trying to decide if that points to the Accelerometer above the mirror, the pressure transducer, or fuses. We usually get the amber ACE light. The rocking does not happen at highway speeds. It tends to show itself to anyone following as we reduce speed at a stoplight. I hate that people see the Disco doing this.

Ditch the ACE system and just put regular sway bars in it..
I removed my ACE system when the front actuator started leaking.. I never reinstalled the sway bars as this truck became a dedicated offroader, but replacing ACE with swaybars is easy... ACE components are stupid expensive.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
It does sound like an accelerometer issue. You could pull codes and get some idea what's going on. But if it's not something simple I would pull the system like was mentioned. It's usually a crazy expensive system to fix.

Gail

Sep 1, 2008
Washington
During Cash for Clunkers we removed the parts for the coil conversion from a very nice looking Disco, but haven't looked at the parts since. We have been pretty happy with the ACE system and what it does for the car. Just hoping for the "duh" fix.

Gail

Sep 1, 2008
Washington
Just to clarify. This happens while driving and while at a dead stop as well as sitting at a light. Something is mechanically making it rock.

Last edited:

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Just to clarify. This happens while driving and while at a dead stop as well as sitting at a light. Something is mechanically making it rock.

Sounds like a sensor is bad causing the actuator to think it needs to push the truck one way or the other..

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Just gone done rebuilding the 2 high pressure lines up front to the actuator. Hydraulic shop was able to do it for pretty cheap.
I really always like the system as its really not needed any serious maintenance and its a mommy city rig.
FYI GM cold climate fluid is the exact same stuff and a 1/4 of the price.

Gail

Sep 1, 2008
Washington
We left the ACE components except for the air springs and a fuse. Installed new shocks and coils.
Still have the amber light but will eventually clear that. I have a sense of loss for the ACE but this was the easy fix.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
We left the ACE components except for the air springs and a fuse. Installed new shocks and coils.
Still have the amber light but will eventually clear that. I have a sense of loss for the ACE but this was the easy fix.

It"s a great system. Just too expensive. The system they use in the new Range Rovers is pretty similar. I'm impressed you went as far as you did with it.

I thought the way the old systems checked themselves every 15 seconds or so was was kind of tacky. No way people would tolerate that noise in a 2017 model year truck.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
You can use the non ACE serpentine belt now. No other parts needed. Did that on mine when I had the front actuator lines off for a rebuild.
With the miles I have on my D2 I've probably only had to put $250 into the ACE and Air suspension over the last 10 years. All used or rebuilt parts though.
If it was a trail rig I would have removed it but works pretty good and rides nice for such a heavy truck.
What I've always wanted is the remote that you can drop the rear height to hook a trailer up to it. Mostly because when I have my ski rack on and I am parking in some ski resort garages I have to remove my skis to park. If I had that option it would be so great. Although it may just pump back up the minute you put it in gear and drive which would be disastrous.