Annual DWEB DSLR holiday thread

LR Max

May 1, 2004
Hotlanta, GA
KngTgr said:
AF was way too slow, I have not tried the 18-200 in person, but I read that it is much faster.

Ah, I see. Also I think it has a lot to do with the camera it is on. I noticed a huge improvement in AF with my D300 compared to my old D70s. The "radar tracking" on the D300 made sports super easy. Pissed off my friend (full on canon fan) when I ask why doesn't their camera just auto-track the players :smilelol: .

Jeez, seems like yesterday the D300 was the latest and greatest behind the D3. Now all of that is second rate equipment. Oh well.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Lol.. I can imagine a lack of people looking at DWeb for camera advice. That being said, just got he 5dmk4 earlier this year, love it. But the Nikon D850 looks insane for the money. Sony has been absolutely killing it, and the new A7 is unreal

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Handing me a $3k+ camera would be like handing a violin to a monkey. Noise will be made, but it's hardly music.

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
Canon 1Dx shooter here - really want to add the Canon EF 100-400 F/4-5.6L IS II lens to the camera case but its a $2000 lens so I think I'll just buy a new 27" BenQ monitor for Christmas this year....its only $595

kk88rrc

Just worked with the Nikon D850..... very sweet! Many nice improvements over the D810.
At home I still use the original Canon 5D. I do like the Nikons better for their handling. The 2 dials for shutter & aperture makes more sense to me than the big wheel on the back of the Canons.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
One of our IT folks got one of these, now that is a monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC98-W-34-Inch-UltraWide-Thunderbolt/dp/B019O78DPS

I love my X34. Had to pay around $1,300 or so when it was released, but now they're a little more reasonable.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009869

The thing is built like a brick shit-house. The stand is solid aluminum, and the action on the tilt and raise functions is smooth as silk, and you can feel that quality every time you move it.

It also dials in wonderfully. Perfectly capable of being used in professional film and photography.

Ultra-wide is absolutely the way to go. Now they're hitting all price ranges. The reason this one was so much more comes down to G-Sync. Unlike Freesync, G-Sync adds a few hundred bucks. If you don't need it, they offer cheaper units with the exact same panel and build quality that don't have it.

These had some trouble out of the gate, and I had to return three, but they sorted it out. Best non-CRT monitor I've ever owned.

Just try to get that 1440 vertical resolution if you can. Many are 1080, and while that isn't really a problem, the extra room makes a big difference.

Cheers,

Kennith

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Sorry for your lose. It was telling you to buy prime lenses!

It knew you were secretly pining for the MkIII and sacrificed itself for your happiness.

This actually has me drooling over the 35 1.4L, but I worry that I'll miss the wider angle during weddings. I didn't love the 24-70 L I had, but I may need to just buy another. The 16-35L had occasional focus issues and sharpness issues

kk88rrc

The 35 is nice as well as the 24. The 24-70 & the 70-200 are the few zooms that I think are ok... but they have sharpness issues too. You can always rent when you need a specific lens but photographing events does not leave much time to change lenses. I've used borrowlenses.com with good results but it has been a few years since I've used them or you could set up an acct with one of the NYC rental houses who will typically only charge you for the shoot day(s) plus shipping.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
The 70-200 2.8L has always treated me well, it's on my main camera most of the time. Borrowlenses has worked great for me, I don't want to admit how many times I've rented the 85 1.2L, an amazing lens.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
That's were people should invest. Bodies become obsolete quickly but a great lens does not. I have a couple old Nikkor manual lenses that are still great to use.

I bought a Nikon 20mm F4 manual lens a while back. It is such an amazing lens. I have a bunch of other Nikon lenses (50mm 1.8, 35-70 2.8, 28-300, 70-300) and none of them can even get close to the sharpness of the tiny little 20mm.