Suckers: Your Bucket Is Ready

rover rob

Mar 29, 2016
upstate NY
after following this thread am I the only one who thinks that its a little creepy that the guy who deals with dead people owns a food truck ? nothing personal dan but bad horror movies start that way.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Have you been in an A&F recently? the above applies...
anf_180250_04_model1

No I haven't been. I'm a 46 year old man that owns dogs, can grow a beard in a week, frequently does burn outs in a Crown Vic, split my own firewood, can read a real map and have had a threesome (not the gay kind).

Edited for my burn out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHwUE6HpwY

Last edited:

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Going back to the tent, I actually have a Snow Peak tent that I bought on Craigslist in Richmond for $250. It is really well made and I would consider it a four season tent. My only complaint with it is that it is just too big. The two main poles are probably 10'-12' long IIRC, it weighs 19 lbs. I wouldn't put it in the $1k+ price range, but I doubt it sold for that much when new anyway. I replaced it with a much smaller and lighter Fj?llr?ven tent that takes about 3 minutes to setup.

If it really is a 4 season tent, it won't have any mesh anywhere - just vents. Also know that a true 4 season tent is only going to be used in the winter. Your standard 3 season tent will have plenty of mesh and the fly and vestibule will not extend completely to the ground. There will also be material than runs like a skirt down off the fly/vestibule - used for anchoring it further in snow. I'm sure there are plenty of other technical aspects I am missing. I've never owned a 4 season, just camped in them a few times in VT.

The $1,300 SnowPeak Tortue tent is in no way a 4 season tent - by design alone. There is also the $1,300 tarp that SnowPeak sells that they claim is "revolutionary". This seems totally logical to me.

For $250 you can go out and buy a new tent at REI and on top of that you won't feel like a complete douchbag setting it up around other men.

Much of their product line lacks much in terms of technical information for such expensive gear. I wonder why that is.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
I'm guessing I won't get an answer or be virtually stoned on here but I'll ask anyway.

At what point do you just buy an RV? I mean, RV's are badass. They are a more portable, nicer, mobile home. All the stoves are already built in and you still get to cook on a campfire if you want.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
They're not RV'ers. They're Overlanders. They like events such as the Overland Expo where they all camp in a field together but cook only for themselves with propane.

Fuck all that. That defeats the purpose of a camping trip. Peace and quiet please. If I can't hear the fire there's a problem.

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
Ninja please. These people beg for attention. These are the same people who start threads on Overland Expo about how they're preparing to travel 100 miles from home for an 'overlanding' trip and document all their oil changes and car wash recipe.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
They're not RV'ers. They're Overlanders. They like events such as the Overland Expo where they all camp in a field together but cook only for themselves with propane.

The very essence of a hobby where you pay an inordinate amount of $ to live like a homeless person.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Oh and back to the subject of stoves - I traded an Ozark Trail cooler to a buddy for this ceramic stove. I was skeptical of it at first, but damn, it works incredibly well. Easy to start, fuel is endless - it works off twigs which you can find anywhere. Here it is cooking up some awesome scrapple. The ring came with it and it was windy as hell that day, but it's not necessary.

I was also able to get flames shooting 3' high out of it using sticks the size of an average man's thumb so it works well to warm you up, too.

Yeah it's heavy, you aren't backpacking with it, but for car camping? Great.

I think it's made by Stovetec.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I'm guessing I won't get an answer or be virtually stoned on here but I'll ask anyway.

At what point do you just buy an RV? I mean, RV's are badass. They are a more portable, nicer, mobile home. All the stoves are already built in and you still get to cook on a campfire if you want.

Doesn't matter how much sense it makes. RVs are for geriatric pensioners, thus not hip.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Hipster Checklist
Rescue dog. Check
Drives old car. Check
Beard. Check
Vintage maps. Check

I have one of those - two rescue dogs. No beard, no vintage maps, no old cars that I personally drive. 2008 Tahoe is old I guess. And my 2005 KTM is equally as old.

You're gonna have to do way better making fun of the Partner Stove crowd when you have and entire SnowPeak website designated to unisex clothing and gender reassigned people modeling their products. Your defending the absolute people you love to hate. Maybe we should start a crowd funding site for you, SnowPeak and your BLM people.

Maybe start Twittering your frustrations about making poor camp stove decisions. But be sure to do it in a $440 poncho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQca1cwe54

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Aw..Isn't this the movie scene where you both overcome mutual frustration and realize your common bonds in having purchased stoves favored by douchebaggy crowds?