need RRC fusible links

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I just got back from 3 weeks in South Africa and my 1993 RRC won't start. Too much shit to deal with, took it to the Rangie Whisperer who diagnosed issue as faulty fusible links. I had never even heard about this part before, it sounds like a typically awful Lucas design.

I'm hoping Will, Marty, Randy, PT, or one of you RRC guys can send me a set from a truck you have on hand for my tech to splice in. Shipping is 98144.

EDIT: also, while I'm at it, I need a dash fuse panel cover for the same truck.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Ive seen replacement fusible links in the help section of oreillys. Its not unique to lucas. 80s domestic vehicles used them.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
How does one know if your truck needs fusible links? What happened?

My local Landy tech diagnosed it as such. I've been preparing for travel, traveling, and returning from travel so I haven't had a chance to get into it. Apparently the fusible links corrode. The issue was the truck wouldn't start. I suspected battery cables as the ones inherited from the PO are gnarly, but the voltage is fine.

Jedi Master Schram recommended replacing them with a D1 fuse box, which sounds to me like a superior long term solution than installing used ancient RRC parts that will probably fail again. I'll suggest that to my tech, given his 30+ years of experience on Rovers it's peculiar that he didn't recommend this option.

The rabbit hole is deeper than I feared on this truck. The PO was an uncommonly negligent cheapfuck.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
Why not look around this site and use one of these fuse blocks. It will take up less space and be just as good as a D1 block? I looked at that stupid mess of fusable links on mine and could not believe that a high end automobile actually left the factory like that. Lol

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Apparently the fusible links corrode. The issue was the truck wouldn't start. I suspected battery cables as the ones inherited from the PO are gnarly, but the voltage is fine.

yeah, my 91 has decided not to start...
And the PO is...oh wait, the current owner is cheap AF :D

Starting to wonder if I've got something weird like bad fusible links- where the hell are they?
I remember reading ECR replacing some with maxifuses or something a while back...

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Starting to wonder if I've got something weird like bad fusible links- where the hell are they?

Under/behind the coolant expansion tank according to my tech. There is a short thread with a picture here on the Rovers North forum.

attachment.php

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You can find those things. I thought you wanted the kind of fuse link that is just wire, they would come off the starter solinoid on old GM stuff. I would look for inline fuse holders.

Last edited: