IACV - new, used, cheap, expensive?

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
My IACV is getting flakey. Have cleaned twice and is now spotless. Still have intermittent no idle problem. Runs great otherwise.

What is the 'value proposition' with these? Ebay has 'em from $10 and up. Looks like it might be a Jeep part as well. Can order from the UK for $35 - 360 as well as the various vendors here in the U.S..

Anybody have any experience replacing one?

err 4352 | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...TRC0.H0.Xerr+4352.TRS0&_nkw=err+4352&_sacat=0

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Stu, they are incredibly easy to replace. I'm just wondering if there is a meaningful difference between a $10 stepper motor and a $150 stepper motor other than have the Land Rover name attached to it in some way.

RedEyeWhiskey

Nov 16, 2016
N.Y., USA
I just replaced mine two days ago with a unit from Autozone for $40. Reset the adaptive values, and she runs perfectly. The plug on the Duralast one is pointing toward the passenger side rather than up.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Adaptive reset may cost more than the part..

Was wondering about this. Have gone over many threads and some say the reset will be needed, others suggested they just replaced the part and all was well.

Is there a way to avoid the reset? Would installing the new IACV with the pintle in the same position as that of the old IACV be helpful?

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Was wondering about this. Have gone over many threads and some say the reset will be needed, others suggested they just replaced the part and all was well.

Is there a way to avoid the reset? Would installing the new IACV with the pintle in the same position as that of the old IACV be helpful?

i've replaced mine twice on my '96 and needed no reset. just lucky, i guess.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
In order to make this thread helpful....
I bought the new IACV from Napa (PART # :CRB 21856), pulled the pintle out as far as the old unit was, installed new and everything is back to normal. No re-flash needed. Lucky...for once.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Not supposed to force IACV to change position, so hope you're lucky.

It's just a stepper motor right? Shouldn't hurt it. I'm surprised it doesn't self adjust anyway. The 14cux stepper bangs into the seat to zero out then backs out a set # of steps. You can hear it just after turning off the car. I thought I've heard the GEMS IAC do the same, but never had a reason to verify

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
I slapped on one of the "Jeep" stepper motor's onto my 98 D1 a while back and it was idling at 2K, tried to match the exact position of the old one, but it would go right back up to 1200RPM to 2000RPM. I removed it and put my OEM unit back in vs paying 150.00 for a shop to reset it. I may try again since my friend has a 8500.00 Snap On Scanner, but I doubt it'll reset the adaptions on a GEMS LR. Only one way to find out though!

Rob371

Nov 29, 2016
Charlevoix, Michigan
Curious observation. Adaptive reset? Sounds like hogwash. I work on boats for a living. Worked on cars before that, and before that I got an associates degree in automotive tech. I don't know everything but this sounds like nonsense. There's a period of time where the 6.2 and the 496 (GM world) all had IAC failures. I've literally replaced dozens of them. We keep two in stock at all times. They reset every time the key is cycled. As far as I know, all IAC valves reset with every key cycle.

Last edited:

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
I have replaced my IACV many many times, and it always sounds like it's going bonker in there.
Is it supposed to sound loud, like a constant clacking/ticking?

I am very much interested in this.

Should I have been resetting the adaptive values? What does that actually do?

And what is the pintel? And why is it important to readjust it.

I know it's a lot, and for that I apologize, but to finally solve my IACV curiosity would be awesome.

just saw the part is for d1.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
I replaced the one on my 96 with the Jeep stepper. I remember changing the plunger stopper from my old one. It does reset itself when you turn the motor off and start it again. Never had to reset the adaptive settings. Worked great for what it is worth.