TDV6?

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I read about this extensively on Russian LR forums - I guess despite JLR's assurances that this went away with 2.7 TDV6, it didn't:

NHTSA ID: 10106102
TSB ID: SSM 72578

Issue: crankshaft/crankshaft bearing failure ? 3.0 tdv6 diesel engine. engine makes a loud ?rumbling/knocking? sound when running which worsens as the engine is placed under load. cause: rotation of main bearing shells.

I am talking about broken crankshafts, guys.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I haven't seen one yet and I work on almost every diesel that comes in our shop.

Also, I just checked Topix and that SSM does not apply to any NAS vehicles with the TDV6.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Are there any changes to 3.0 TDV6 compared to ROW?

Most people who reported crank failures have driven their trucks at >85 mph for extended periods of time in the days before failures. It may just be not enough of an issue in NA because of generally slower traffic.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Are there any changes to 3.0 TDV6 compared to ROW?

Most people who reported crank failures have driven their trucks at >85 mph for extended periods of time in the days before failures. It may just be not enough of an issue in NA because of generally slower traffic.

Honestly I don't know. The only difference off the top of my head that I know for sure are additional sensors in the exhaust system.

I do know that we have a customer that only uses the paddle shifters and shifts when he hits the redline. His hasn't blown up yet.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I saw a bulletin about poor repairs on remanufactured engines. So I think when that happens bad news travels a lot faster than good news. I myself have not seen one failure on the 3.0 turbo diesel. We sold a lot of them early on because something was keeping them from being sold in Illinois and maybe we got more than our fair share of them in Wisconsin.

Only problems I've seen are with the DEF fluid system and I think all manufacturers are having those issues.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I saw a bulletin about poor repairs on remanufactured engines.

That is a technician error. The new engine doesn't come with the cam gear on for the injection pump. If you don't use the correct holding tool to tighten the bolt, the cam gear will spin and shear off the key.