DII Trailer Wiring Issue

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
Okay, here's a challenging one for someone, the right turn signal on any trailer I have towed with the truck does not work. Background, I started out with a genuine rover wiring kit, had the problem. Pulled that out and bought one from U-Haul. Same problem. If I use a circuit tester though, the right turn signal works at the plug. It only doesn't work when hooked to a trailer (I have had 4 or 5 different trailers that all have the same problem) :confused:

B

blitzkreig

You could eliminate the problem by turning only left hand corners. :D

Seriously have you tried a voltmeter down close by the bulb rather than at the trailer connection?

Perhaps the voltage by the time it gets down to the bulb is just so low that it lights the bulb imperceptibly. If your "circuit tester" is one of those newer ones they will light with very little power getting to them. Try a voltmeter ...

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
blitzkreig said:
You could eliminate the problem by turning only left hand corners. :D

Seriously have you tried a voltmeter down close by the bulb rather than at the trailer connection?

Perhaps the voltage by the time it gets down to the bulb is just so low that it lights the bulb imperceptibly. If your "circuit tester" is one of those newer ones they will light with very little power getting to them. Try a voltmeter ...

I will try that, but the interesting thing is that when I turn left, the little trailer light illuminates on the dash, but when I turn right, nothing. Although that could be a coltage issue, since that light is probably looking for a 12v logic high or anything less logic low. I'll take a look this weekend.

xtravrt

Banned
May 14, 2005
Manitoba, Canada
I am having the same problem now, but I have the walmart kit installed. Left works and illuminates the trailer icon on dash. Right signal, right brake and right tail all are dead. This is with brand new lights, wire and pigtails. Just happened yesterday. I installed the kit detailed in the tech section and everything worked on the weay out, but not on the way back. Sometimes a meter can fool you by giving voltage, but not current. If you have voltage at the hitch, try taking out the bulb and and touching the wires from the pigtail directly to your hitch wiring at the back of the truck. If it still doesn't light, don't rip you trailer wiring apart like I did. Look at something else!

Last edited:

Randy

Apr 20, 2004
Easton, Pa.
I've had the same problem for the past 2 years, no right turn signal, and I NEVER get the trailer indicator on the dash!! Dealer installed LR wiring harness.