D1 front grill

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
I am looking for a black front grill for a D1 without cracks. The bottom can be painted another color but I want the upper part to be black.

Knightspirit

Sep 22, 2019
Mount Shasta, CA
How do these come off? Seems to be connected to the lower body part - tried to just pull it up - but not working. RAVE is useless - doesn't even show it.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
They all crack eventually...

From memory a few years ago;
Remove the screws on top of the grill, three I think
Reach in at the front corner near the side marker lights and pull the holder spring out of the hole
Release the side marker lights and either move them out of the way or disconnect them
Underneath where the side marker lights were are a screw or 2, remove those to remove the trim just below the headlight
That trim piece locks into the front grill at the base of the grill
You can now pull the grill out by tiling the top away from the vehicle and lifting the bottom out of the holes the pegs are mounted in.
Installation is the reverse of removal

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
On the grill, I ended up buying a new one assuming it couldn’t be repaired and not having great luck with used ones.

I painted the new one black with rattle cans to match my new winch bumper. (It actually looks really good.) Took the truck to my body guy with old grill still installed, with the crack. I told him I had a new one and would install it myself after he was done. He forgot, fixed the crack, and primered it before he remembered I had a new grill. I was amazed how well he repaired the crack. Unless you look at the backside of the grill, you would never know it was cracked.So, I have an extra now. I’m keeping it for the next project.