Gas Cap Replacement

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Just wanted to double check. My tank pressurized once and almost blew my hat off when I took the cap off. I had mistakenly left the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator during my cam break-in.
Just to be sure - you know that this vacuum hose has nothing to do with fuel tank venting?

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Just wanted to double check. My tank pressurized once and almost blew my hat off when I took the cap off. I had mistakenly left the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator during my cam break-in.

I'll try to remember to put a hand next to the cap next time I remove it and see if I can't feel air coming in or out - I just assumed it was a vaccum but I guess I don't know for sure.

But seriously: channel locks to remove it yesterday, and I have a kung fu grip.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Upon further reading, that much air coming out is a symptom of a faulty EVAP - is there a valve somewhere near the canister I can check? I am non-AEL.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Upon further reading, that much air coming out is a symptom of a faulty EVAP - is there a valve somewhere near the canister I can check? I am non-AEL.

Anyone?

Just tried to get gas. Cap wouldn't come off. had to go home and get channel locks - huge amount of air rushed out as soon as I was able to remove it. Filled up. Drove a mile home, checked again - not as much air but still a woosh and cap was still difficult to remove.

I ordered a replacement purge valve assembly and charcoal cannister off fleabay to see if that maybe fixes the issue...maybe it will help my mpg, too.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Replaced the Charcoal cannister and the purge valve assembly using a used set I got off flea bay, kept my existing wiring connector.

Tried to open the cap and it came right off. Going to do some other testing over the next day or so.

Was not throwing any codes, just could not get the cap off.

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
well after 3 different caps from 3 different auto parts stores....the only one that works (on my 96) as it should is # NTC5418.....got it from A/B

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
well after 3 different caps from 3 different auto parts stores....the only one that works (on my 96) as it should is # NTC5418.....got it from A/B

That's the one I have that I needed channel locks to remove - prior to replacing the charcoal cannister and purge thing (doubt the cannister had anything to do with it but since it's 173,000 miles old and found one from a 20k mile wrecked one I picked it up too).

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I ordered a new one since the AB one mentioned above didn't seem to work. Stant 10819 off of Amazon. Different look, will see what happens after some driving.