1989 RR Classic Rev Counter

Lorry

Jul 13, 2016
South Africa
:banghead: Hi All, On my 1989 RR Classic Auto V8 I have the same rev counter issue mentioned in posts in the forum, does not work, all connections to the W terminal look fine, heat gauge works etc. Alternator is charging to spec. Recently had the motor rebuilt and since then the issue cropped up. Found the PCB voltage stabilizer US, installed a new one and still no luck. I am thinking of running a new lead from the 'W' terminal BUT where to should this NEW brown wire go???
This is the biggest headache I have had so far. I am useless when it comes to anything concerning electrics and any help would be appreciated.
GREAT forum, glad I joined.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
I've never tried it, but can you hook an external tach to the alternator and have it work? I'd hate to rewire everything to find it's the alternator that's bad.

Lorry

Jul 13, 2016
South Africa
Thanks for the reply. Question, where does the BROWN wire connect to on the alternator?? I hope this tach signal does not also have something to do with the ECU or whatever other electronic gubbins it is. Bought a new tacho but reluctant to install if I don't know if the connections at the alternator are correct. In case I wreck it.

kk88rrc

Thanks for the reply. Question, where does the BROWN wire connect to on the alternator?? I hope this tach signal does not also have something to do with the ECU or whatever other electronic gubbins it is. Bought a new tacho but reluctant to install if I don't know if the connections at the alternator are correct. In case I wreck it.
Back view of alt....