RRC Questions...

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon
All:

What years of RRC will the V8 engine & auto transmission from a '95 Discovery 1 fit? I have an '85 Ninety (Defender) station wagon that's going to get an LS swap. That will leave me with a great running V8 & trans that I'd like to put into a RRC. The aforementioned engine runs great, but it's not the right motor for what I need in my 90. The original 3.5V8 was too weak, so I swapped in the '95- still not enough, plus the power, economy, torque & running on regular thing of the LS is just too good to pass up. I had planned to put the engine & trans in a '94/'95 D1, but I'd like to try a RRC. I've heard the '95 RRC is 'the one to have' but if there is another year it'll fit, I'm open to that. Then I'll start looking for a (relatively) rust free one, preferably with a shot engine/trans, and get it ready as a recipient.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

kk88rrc

If it's a 14cux engine it should be usable in any RRC. I still don't understand why everyone wants a 95 Classic. So many hard to find or NLA part and it still has the BW transfer. I would think the 87-88 would be more more desirable with the LT230, no ABS and less emission crap. Being westcoast you'll have a better chance of finding 'rust free'. I had a '78 Wagoneer from Oregon and it didn't have a spec of rust... too bad she rolled.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
I still don't understand why everyone wants a 95 Classic.

Totally agree on this.

Although 87-88 models are tough to find.

The exterior hinges are pretty cool on the 87-88's as well.

Personally I like LWBs because of traveling with 2 Labs - one up on the seat and one down on the floor.

The extra length of a LWB is all behind the front seats making a great spot for a 4 paw drive Rover to hang out on extended voyages.

Paul K

May 1, 2004
La Grande, Oregon
Thanks guys. So it sounds like the engine I have (which was apparently the last one to use a mechanical distributor) will fit any RRC. Good to know.

Hate to say it, but I will be looking for a SWB. I appreciate the extra leg room, especially since we have a Great Dane, but to me, the LWB looks out of proportion.

I'll start hunting for one, hopefully something will turn up.

Cheers,

Paul.

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
I had a '91 SWB and now a '95 SWB. The interior refinements are nice on the '95, but the earlier models are still desirable. I think what most see in the '95 is the soft dash that looks nicer on the eye, to me at least. At this point in the game, any RRC that is not rusted out is desirable, forget the year. Most are 100% garbage at this point, at least on the east coast.

Good luck on your search, there is a guy in SoCal that always has a good many of solid RRC's that need some love. Can't recall his name, he has a shop and sells off some from time to time.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
At this point in the game, any RRC that is not rusted out is desirable, forget the year.

This is very, very, very true!

Search this site and you'll see some threads on where to look for rust on a RRC - and if you can't locate them, just ask and will be glad to help as will others.

Take your time as they literally rust from the inside out - the sub structure to which the panels are attached is steel that was just basically primed painted.

Mine came from So.Cal. and still had cosmetic floor rust from the stupid front mud flap mounts plus the big "sponge" Landie Rover used for sound deadening.

And of course for me the SWB looks out of proportion as the back door is smaller than the front. :)

Good luck!