thoughts

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
So...I am in the market for a winch. I want a cheap one. so...with that said don't tell me to buy a 12,500 hydraulic winch with majestic female pubic hair cable and a wooly mammoth tusk hook end. This is for my beater trail truck. I had a super winch X9 for the last 10 years and it never let me down, but it finally gave up.

I have narrowed it down to the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 or the Smittybuilt 9500. Which would you buy if you were a cheap bastard like myself?

again...I am cheap as fuck and WILL NOT buy an expensive winch! :patriot:

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
I'd rebuild the X9 - those were pretty good winches. That's the real cheapskates way out.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I've been very happy with my Superwinch Tigershark.. Zero issues in the 3-4yrs I've had it. As with any entry level winch you will have to sacrifice something.. in this case it's the line speed. I don't use the winch often enough for it to be an issue for me, but it's something to take note of.

roverover

Feb 27, 2005
Lancaster PA
www.UsedLandRoverParts.com
Take it to a motor shop and have them diagnose it even if it is the motor you will have a better winch than those cheap winches you are looking at. I have found that 8/10 times I have a winch checked out it is a bad ground in the motor about a $75 fix

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Try this out, I bought a brand new in the box never mounted Superwinch from CL in my area. Way cheaper than new. The guy thought it would be cool to have one and then never mounted it and sold his vehicle.

When searching, type in winch and wench. True story, I got more hits on wench than I did on winch! Try it in your area.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
If it was me, I'd get a 9,000 lb Hydraulic winch and then get a higher psi steering pump to bump up the rating to make it around an 11K winch, complete with a relief valve so you don't blow out the steering box. Oh, I'd also get a nice synthetic rope. You won't be happy otherwise.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
hey...I already have synthetic rope (not made out of hot blonde pubic hair regretfully) so I got that going for me.

Maybe I can just cram a couple of really strong midgets behind the grill and they could pull the rope in to get me over shit.....

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
I've been happy with my Smitty Built X2O's. I've had them on two trucks and I have a buddy that runs one also. It's got decent line speed, a good warranty and lots of features like wireless remote etc. all for about $50 more than the Tiger Shark. Lines speed is 32ft/min vs 19ft/min of the Tigershark.

I also still have a Tigershark but after using it a few times at Windrock I took it off the truck and put it on the trailer. It's a great trailer winch nice and slow.