am i asking for death

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
Nah, that's like pedaling the crank on your bicycle with the chain off.

the 'load' is the resistance applied to the engine from the transmission etc. got it.

so what is that load doing specifically?

if turning a specific pulley, then i can see a pulley as the culprit.

hopefully this weekend i can get under there and see whats going on.

it'll be nice to solve this as I can only take so many different noises at once from the engine bay.

thanks for the help!

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
the 'load' is the resistance applied to the engine from the transmission etc. got it.

so what is that load doing specifically?

if turning a specific pulley, then i can see a pulley as the culprit.

hopefully this weekend i can get under there and see whats going on.

it'll be nice to solve this as I can only take so many different noises at once from the engine bay.

thanks for the help!

Please reference post #14 of this thread.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
touche

however, I was looking for more about the what is going on when in gear engine. it can't all be just engine movement.

When the engine isn't in gear it's just sitting there, spinning alone, rocking evenly back and forth not affecting anything around it other than the motor mounts really.

When it's in gear it's now connected to the entire vehicle - engine to transmission via torque converter to transfer case to front and rear differentials, which then spread through to the wheels - so the "load" is everything. The crankshaft that was spinning freely and happily is now locked in a death grip with the rest of the car, wanting desperately to twist everything.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
When the engine isn't in gear it's just sitting there, spinning alone, rocking evenly back and forth not affecting anything around it other than the motor mounts really.

When it's in gear it's now connected to the entire vehicle - engine to transmission via torque converter to transfer case to front and rear differentials, which then spread through to the wheels - so the "load" is everything. The crankshaft that was spinning freely and happily is now locked in a death grip with the rest of the car, wanting desperately to twist everything.

i appreciate your putting up with me.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
UPDATE

While under the truck, today, I:
1-looked for loose heat shields and I found one. Though it's more of a heat shield pad. It was soft and flexible. It doesn't move, it just has a loose screw.
2- I tried as hard as I could to figure out if the down pipe to collector is loose, and I can't see that it is. I shook it hard enough to rock the truck.
3- Found this in my transmission housing under the torque converter. A few years ago I ripped teeth off my starter and found some metal pieces and rubber gunk in the same place. I cleaned it out as best I could and moved forward. I realized that the rubber stuff was from the oil pan grommet. (I have two of them I think)(I know there are two holes). Now I have found more, and the grommet is chewed up too.

Could the noise be coming from here?
Teeth bouncing around the ring gear and torque converter area?

proper4wd

Jun 11, 2015
boston
Will not cause the noise that you are talking about. Youd efinitely haev an exhaust leak probably a cracked manifold.