Tactical Coffemaker....

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Cool. I'll put it on the list. An Englishman who works in my building just recommended Yorkshire Gold to me, so I have a couple new varieties to look forward to sampling.

Funny that you mention that. When I was in my daily tea drinking routine, I switched back between Yorkshire Gold and Barry's.

Both are really good teas. The Yorkshire Gold is definitely on the more savory English teas. I don't like it when teas get too aromatic, especially Earl Grey.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
The jetboil->french press setup seems to work pretty well for us too. The cleaning isn't too bad, but then again my standards for cleanliness on the trail may be very relative too.

My biggest gripe about the French press is definitely the clean up when you are trying to conserve water. I was thinking about getting the Snow Peak folding pour over setup, but I never got around to getting it. Now, when I'm away from home at a campsite, I want to just sit in a chair and do nothing but look around and smell the fresh air.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
I use a stainless percolator and boil my camp coffee in it. It beats any of that fancy shit hands down when it's 30 degrees out and the trout haven't started hitting yet.
I'll be pulling it out next month when I camp along the Bull Pasture.

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
I go back and forth between Via and Aeropress. Lately it's been all Via just for the sake of convenience, but Aeropress is my favorite way to make coffee.

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
I prefer to boil water and dump it in the french press. My camping buddy is a percolator junkie though, even when the press is sitting right there on the table. They both make good coffee, but the percolator is more of a mess to clean and subject to boil-overs.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I recently bought a Snow Peak pour-over and a Porlex mini grinder. I prefer the taste of a french press, but I'm loving the no cleanup of the pour-over. I've been using every day for a couple months at home in lieu of the French press.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
I used to use the french press but like Jimmy said, the clean-up is not great for the trail. You end up using a lot of water and that's always precious on a trip. I do the pour-over with a paper filter--just toss and wipe it out. I can't taste the difference in the coffee. I guess that's because I live in Kansas.

kade

Oct 15, 2013
Upstate, SC
If I want to make more work for myself camping for a great cup of coffee I'll take my Aeropress. I'm on my second one and it is by far the best way to brew a single cup of coffee at home or in the woods. Pretty easy to clean as well.

https://www.aerobie.com/product/aeropress/

+1 on the areopress. You can get them on amazon or target. I bought one after I read this and can say they make a good cup of coffee!

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I have a percolator and I also use the Malita style cone Chris uses. I think the cone makes a prettty good cup of coffee more consistently.

since were talking about making heat while camping. Have you guys used a charcoal chimney to get coals fast? I know the advertisements for these things have people trying to use paper to get the coals hot but that's just stupid and makes people think these things are crap. What you need is paraffin wax from the canning isle at ace hardware. They come in ice cube looking chunks in sheets. 2 cubes lit and the chimney placed over them will make a big old pile of coals in no time. I like that way better than using lighter fluid. I recommend you get a cheap pair of welders gloves to handle the chimney when its hot.

kk88rrc

Used the chimney this morning to fire up the Weber smoker. One sheet of paper and ready to dump in 10 min but it was only 1/2 full & mostly wood chunks. Never had a problem with the handle being too hot to handle. It does take up a lot of space in the vehicle though. There are collapsible ones but have not tried any.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
I used to be full on, bring the entire setup, kind of coffee person on the trail. But getting up and grinding the coffee, boiling the water, and then cleaning everything got to be too much of a pain in the ass. Now I prefer to drink the coffee and hanging out to all of the preparation.

I was bringing tea which is much easier, but a while back my wife found these:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4CVGT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I've been drinking bulletproof coffee at home for a while, and my wife bought these for a vacation. It's so damn easy and I also don't have to bother with cooking breakfast either. One cup of coffee and nothing else to do until lunch time.

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
www.hillbillytrailcrew.com
I used to be full on, bring the entire setup, kind of coffee person on the trail. But getting up and grinding the coffee, boiling the water, and then cleaning everything got to be too much of a pain in the ass. Now I prefer to drink the coffee and hanging out to all of the preparation.

I was bringing tea which is much easier, but a while back my wife found these:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4CVGT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I've been drinking bulletproof coffee at home for a while, and my wife bought these for a vacation. It's so damn easy and I also don't have to bother with cooking breakfast either. One cup of coffee and nothing else to do until lunch time.

How does that compare to BP coffee? I was thinking about picking up https://www.onnit.com/emulsified-mct-oil/ for traveling but your deal looks easier.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
I make my BP coffee at home using beans from a local place here in Seattle, Kerrygold butter, and MCT oil. It has a very neutral taste almost like having a latte. It doesn't have much of a butter taste. The stuff I linked to has kind of a coconut taste. If you've ever had the solid at room temp coconut oil, it tastes like that. It's not overpowering, but you do notice it. I don't mind it, but I'm sure if you don't like coconut oil, you won't like this stuff either.