New TV Time

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
1. It has the Netflix app on the TV itself. That being said, I've had issues with the "smart" features not working that well. My Sony TV has a very nice picture, but it couldn't stream worth shit. It didn't matter if it was Amazon or Netflix; it just couldn't handle it.

I have a Sony Bravia 55" LED and I have the same streaming problems with Netflicks on the TV's app. Amazon streams no problem but Netflicks will sometimes freeze up. Annoying as hell.

I'm having a built-in constructed for my home office and I'll need another 55" TV so I think I'll check out this OLED witchcraft...

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
I have a Sony Bravia 55" LED and I have the same streaming problems with Netflicks on the TV's app. Amazon streams no problem but Netflicks will sometimes freeze up. Annoying as hell.

I'm having a built-in constructed for my home office and I'll need another 55" TV so I think I'll check out this OLED witchcraft...

I'll let you know what I think after I get it installed here. It's hard to really get a sense what they are like at the store.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I was at BestBuy this afternoon and checked out that LG 65" OLED. Damn nice TV. The 55" version is $1999. They have curved and flat both at the same price. The BestbuyGuy said the 2017s are arriving in a couple weeks and they are discontinuing the curved version. Any drawbacks to the curved? Is it just a gimmick?

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
The computing power in the TVs for streaming is not good. Best to get a stand alone unit to do it.

I got a lowish-grade Sony 4k (~$1100) from BestBuy in November 2015.

I've had no issues Wi-Fi streaming Netflix, Amazon, HBOnow, or chromecasting.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
I picked up the tv and installed it today. I fired up Netflix on the tv itself and streamed Breaking Bad, which is supposedly 4K. The detail is quite possibly too detailed. Jesse's girlfriend in the later seasons, Andrea, doesn't look so good. You can see every little imperfection in her skin. Pretty damn freaky.

The other thing I noticed was that the motion seemed to be kind of soap opera like. It doesn't seem right. The good thing is that there weren't any issues with streaming from Netflix.

Anyways, now it's time to figure out how to use this thing.

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
www.hillbillytrailcrew.com
I picked up the tv and installed it today. I fired up Netflix on the tv itself and streamed Breaking Bad, which is supposedly 4K. The detail is quite possibly too detailed. Jesse's girlfriend in the later seasons, Andrea, doesn't look so good. You can see every little imperfection in her skin. Pretty damn freaky.

The other thing I noticed was that the motion seemed to be kind of soap opera like. It doesn't seem right. The good thing is that there weren't any issues with streaming from Netflix.

Anyways, now it's time to figure out how to use this thing.

Do you have Smooth Motion turned on? ( I believe that's what it's called ) it seems to produce a weird soap opera, fake 3d kind of look.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
Do you have Smooth Motion turned on? ( I believe that's what it's called ) it seems to produce a weird soap opera, fake 3d kind of look.

Yep, that's from whatever the particular brand calls their motion smoothing Tech.

I think it's supposed to be good for sports but makes regular programming look like a play.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA

I think it's enabled by default. I haven't had any time to spend figuring out the tv yet. I installed the TV and then went out of town for the weekend.

Last night we watched an episode of Westworld through the Appletv. The picture even in 1080P is awesome. I haven't done a thing to calibrate the tv and it's still such a massive step up from my Sony. It's much more plasma like in that the shadows and smoke look so realistic. The LCD/LEDs look like that what you are watching has a spot light on everything from every angle. It just looks sort of fake when you see what the OLED does.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
The picture even in 1080P is awesome. I haven't done a thing to calibrate the tv and it's still such a massive step up from my Sony. It's much more plasma like in that the shadows and smoke look so realistic. The LCD/LEDs look like that what you are watching has a spot light on everything from every angle. It just looks sort of fake when you see what the OLED does.

You're welcome...;)