Swap Frame to Make DII a "Custom Built Vehicle"?

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
That 2.8 thread got me thinking.

If I purchase and install a replacement galvanized frame for my DII, is there any reason to believe it couldn't be registered as "custom-built", to prevent irritating inspection inconveniences?

If that's not good enough, what about just building a new frame from scratch? Same thing?

I know, I know. Not all states are the same, but someone here is bound to have considered it at one point or another and looked into something similar.

I'd prefer not to be bound by so many unreasonable regulations if possible, and it occurred to me that this might be a good way to go about it. Perhaps I'll have to change more; I don't know.

The thinking, however, is that it would be much like buying a frame, and slapping the left-overs of a DII on top, so far as regulations are concerned.

This might be a very stupid idea, but it's a question worth asking. I've wanted a galvanized frame for a while, anyway.

They've probably figured out a way to prevent this, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

Cheers,

Kennith

logan_gibson

Dec 20, 2016
Alabama
Are you planning to remove the vin numbers from the body when you do this? And generate a new vin for the vehicle?

I feel like, depending on your state, you're going to run into issues with it looking like a stock, factory bodied vehicle. More modifications to the appearance may be needed.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Are you planning to remove the vin numbers from the body when you do this? And generate a new vin for the vehicle?

I feel like, depending on your state, you're going to run into issues with it looking like a stock, factory bodied vehicle. More modifications to the appearance may be needed.

I'm never going to sell this thing, so I was figuring on perhaps totaling it out to "release" the VIN from it's own history... Sort of. Something clever like that, that doesn't actually break any rules. No insurance bullshit, mind you. I don't keep comprehensive on the Rover. I'd just be considering a way to make the vehicle... Go away...

Surely someone out there has put a new car body on an old frame at some point and got away with it legally; or a new body on a custom frame.

The question is, can it be done if that body has already been registered attached to the original frame.

Given the suspension and drive-line modifications already present, with an aftermarket frame installed, everything from the bodywork down would be different in some way. It's nearly all customized at this point.

So, here's the reasoning:

I buy or build a frame. Then I install many, many customized and aftermarket parts to it to create the rolling chassis. Now I've genuinely got a custom vehicle. There's not going to be any argument there, so far as I'm aware; not any reasonable argument, anyway.

What happens when I bolt that body down, though? Does the VIN even matter?

Cheers,

Kennith

the deputy

Sep 20, 2017
michigan
In Michigan, if you are going to plate a vehicle...you need a title...and to get a title on a "built" vehicle that does not have vin number...you have to take it to a state certified inspector. They will verify parts used (not "hot") and do a safety inspection...and then they give you an application for title. Can't remember if they need a weight or not...l know on trailers l've built...l had to weigh them and bring weight slip to DOT. We do not have yearly safety or emisson testing.

Brian.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
food for thought
https://jalopnik.com/5582902/police-raid-classic-recreations-over-vin-swapping

you can argue the logic and convince yourself and your peers its all on the up and up, but the laws and precedents say you can't change VINs on a vehicle

Kit car VINS seem to be the stuff fairy tales are made of. I briefly looked into the requirements and went cross eyed and passed out. You can't go backwards in time for emissions or safety laws, its all got to be current. The Local Motors project would be a good staring point to find people who have done it, but what you're talking about doing isn't a kit car, its a series 3 vin tek screwed on to the firewall.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Well, I guess the last two replies pretty much answered the question.

It was a nice thought, anyway.

Cheers,

Kennith

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
I know of a D2 with a galvy frame that the owner was lamenting that he just isn't using the truck enough. He's toying with selling it. Up here in Mass still has to deal with inspections like any other vehicle.