DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 12-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Looking for recommendations on containers that are fireproof or fire resistant. I have a small collection of books at home that are unique and they are currently sitting on a wooden shelf in my wood-framed house. I would like to find a storage solution that will offer some level of protection in the event of a fire. Ideally also some level of water protection in the event the fire department douses them. I pull the books off the shelf to read frequently enough that I want continued access to them - i.e. not stored elsewhere. The books don't have much monetary value so I don't need a safe (i.e. I'm not worried about theft). I also want a container large enough to accommodate a slowly growing collection - two or three books per year.

In a perfect world there would be a container about the size of a Pelican 1500 or 1600 case, although I'd consider buying a larger quantity of smaller containers. There is a fire station two blocks from my house so in the event of a fire I expect a quick response, but since there is no replacing these books I would welcome a little extra insurance in the form of some containers that will resist flames and water. I've never shopped for this kind of thing before so not sure what's out there, what to look for, or what to pay.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 PM

How about safes you can buy from? Might need two of them.

Never assume the proximity of a fire station as protection. A pizza store next to a fire station near me was gutted as the trucks were out fighting another fire.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 PM

Member Trucks
If you're looking for a true firebox you might as well just get a safe.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Never assume the proximity of a fire station as protection. A pizza store next to a fire station near me was gutted as the trucks were out fighting another fire.
That is a depressing possibility. A collection of small fire safes might be the ticket.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 12-17-2018, 08:56 PM

Look at fire and water protection proof safes/boxes as regular fire safes let water in. Even a basic 2 cubic ft one from Walmart is around 250, plus there are ratings to look at... Maybe worth having an away from the house storage facility? Something in a proper size and insulated that prevents mold and no electricity around it. Just a thought.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 PM
KN4KFS

a glass case would provide some protection.

Especially if you could find one that can be sealed

Not, "the whole house is on fire" protection but at least a few minutes.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Something different to think about might be an old freezer. When I was a teenager we had a barn fire and had one of those old 60s (guessing) upright freezers with the huge locking handle full of meat inside. The freezer made it thorough the fire and the inside was untouched. I know fires can be weird and it’s placement may have played a part but nothing else survived and it was hot enough it was catching farm equipment parked nearby on fire.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 AM

Looks like FireKing makes quite a few fireproof storage/file cabinets, but they arent cheap. You can always bolo for a used one. Either way, doesnt look like one made by whomever is going to be cheap.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."