DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 12-31-2018, 04:52 PM
Still Junior

Probably Super dumb question.

I pulled heads and pressure tested for slipped sleeve, and yes sleeve is slipped

In my haste, as well as trying to be safe around the kids, i didn't put the vehicle in neutral.

Now with all things disconnected, what is a good way to get the vehicle in neutral? (it is an automatic)

Disclaimer: I assume I need the trans in neutral to rotate the engine (per the online AB "how to remove engine" video) If I don't, I am all ears.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 PM

No you don't need to put the trans in neutral to rotate the engine. If that was the case we would have to put the trans in neutral every time we started it.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:31 PM
Still Junior

excellent point lol
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM

You say you pressure tested the block and confirmed the liners had slipped.

Liners will slip and cause some really strange noises and will leave marks on the compression ring of the head gasket. That problem itself doesn't cause the coolant loss. Cracks behind the liner cause the coolant loss.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:42 AM

Member Trucks
If you really need to place transmission in neutral, you can loosen nut on shift cable at the xyz switch or prndl switch whatever you like to call it, then you can rotate the lever to neutral. I would mark the shift cable on both sides of where it is fastened to xyz switch before loosening, this may save some time adjusting shifter. If you don't mark the cable your shifter will be off.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:36 AM
Still Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprover2 View Post
If you really need to place transmission in neutral, you can loosen nut on shift cable at the xyz switch or prndl switch whatever you like to call it, then you can rotate the lever to neutral. I would mark the shift cable on both sides of where it is fastened to xyz switch before loosening, this may save some time adjusting shifter. If you don't mark the cable your shifter will be off.
Dont give bad advise!

He has a D2 if you had looks at his previous posts, To place in neutral just pop up the shift bezel on the center consul and at the base of the ratcheting selector there is a button on the side. Press button to release the shifter.

2010 SC Sport Autobiography
Daddys Off Road Rig
2013 SC Sport Autobiography
Mamas Street Machine

Previous
2001 Disco
2001 p38
2003 disco
2012 lr2
Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by special ed View Post
He has a D2 if you had looks at his previous posts, To place in neutral just pop up the shift bezel on the center consul and at the base of the ratcheting selector there is a button on the side. Press button to release the shifter.
Hey ASSHAT...there is more than one way to screw your wife. All that matters is does he get the job done.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprover2 View Post
Hey ASSHAT...there is more than one way to screw your wife.
That's true, but his wife seems to prefer doggy-style, with some hair-pulling, and telling her she's "a BAD girl".

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Still Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
You say you pressure tested the block and confirmed the liners had slipped.

Liners will slip and cause some really strange noises and will leave marks on the compression ring of the head gasket. That problem itself doesn't cause the coolant loss. Cracks behind the liner cause the coolant loss.
good point! I suppose I use the term slipped sleeve synonymous with with the leaking/cracked block sleeve situation. In my case I only had to pressurize to 20-ish PSI before i got coolant coming out from behind #3 :-( .

Tags
engine, neutral, pulling, transmission