DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Had an old neighbor named Bubba. Cops seemed to find his name entertaining, as they unfortunately frequented his residence. Yeah Bubba, maybe that can of acetylene on your bonfire was a bad idea, or beating that jail bait, and so on..
Old 01-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Here is some science applied to the new Defender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqk...bFzhczo6DoSMrY

96 Disco - Heavily Modified but not done yet
00 Range Rover - Mostly Stock
00 Range Rover - Mostly Dead
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORover View Post
Here is some science applied to the new Defender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqk...bFzhczo6DoSMrY
That's interesting. I don't know with certainty what those radiators are, but it's a bit of a silly place for them. I hope it has great air conditioning if that's what one of them is for.

I'm not liking the wheelbase, though. Between 90 and 100 is twitchy territory, depending upon track. Hopefully they manage to keep it smooth as they have in the past.

One question is what regulations they're having to endure. There are a lot of rules for new vehicles; rules Jeep seems to be able to skate right by, and trucks don't have to obey. Land Rover has a rough time ahead of them with this thing, and it's obvious they didn't really know what to do with it.

I think it'll probably look okay, and of course it'll be good off-pavement, but that's not all there is to a Defender.

The fucked up part is that, while it's not in competition with the new Gladiator... It's actually in competition with the new Gladiator. Jeep just got new again, and the shine has rubbed off Land Rover's new line. They're still nice, but they aren't novel anymore.

Are they even luxurious when parked next to a new Navigator which, if I'm not mistaken, can be lifted and dumped on big meats as quickly as an Expedition? That's a question I don't want to have to answer...

It's been too long. Nothing they produce will have been worth the wait, at this point. That's their biggest problem.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Hopefully they manage to keep it smooth as they have in the past.
Having owned a 110 in Brasil, smooth wouldn?t be an adjective I?d use to describe the ride.

Stable yes, smooth not so much.

And probably not replicated in this version which may or may not be a good thing.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennith View Post
Nothing they produce will have been worth the wait, at this point. That's their biggest problem.
That's your opinion. I think it's still too soon to say. We won't know until the wraps come off. Even then it will be too soon. When the drooling automotive press gets its hands on it at a launch event it will still be too soon. A more realistic timeframe for drawing conclusions is probably 2 years after the Defender hits the showroom. Give owners a chance to develop their own experiences, let the quirks and flaws reveal themselves, let the strengths shine. How does it work in real life? I'm withholding judgment. There is still a chance that Land Rover did something clever and touched all (or enough of) the bases. Us gawping speculators don't even know what the final version will look like yet.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
More than likely a capable Rover.

Will it still be so after 25 years or more of service?

We shall see.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Having owned a 110 in Brasil, smooth wouldn?t be an adjective I?d use to describe the ride.

Stable yes, smooth not so much.

And probably not replicated in this version which may or may not be a good thing.
That's what I meant. I get mentally caught up between two corners when considering cars, and think of stability as the transition from one to the other. A smooth vehicle glides along an invisible inertial railway. A twitchy vehicle will not pull itself through without correction. It can't hold the line as hard as it would need to.

That's one of the reasons I really like the DII. You hook it in there, and it just rides the wave like an oversized Jaguar.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
That's your opinion. I think it's still too soon to say. We won't know until the wraps come off. Even then it will be too soon. When the drooling automotive press gets its hands on it at a launch event it will still be too soon. A more realistic timeframe for drawing conclusions is probably 2 years after the Defender hits the showroom. Give owners a chance to develop their own experiences, let the quirks and flaws reveal themselves, let the strengths shine. How does it work in real life? I'm withholding judgment. There is still a chance that Land Rover did something clever and touched all (or enough of) the bases. Us gawping speculators don't even know what the final version will look like yet.
It's an observation based on past events in several industries.

When things take too long to come to fruition, and hype and speculation are in play during such a resurrection, even a perfect replica of the original isn't enough. It doesn't mean the vehicle will be bad. It simply means it can't possibly meet the vast array of expectations they have allowed to brew up.

Land Rover's fuck up happened several years ago. This vehicle should have been on a rotating display two years ago.

The vehicle is almost irrelevant at this point. Their poor marketing has given it one hell of a hill to climb, so I hope it's got some off-pavement chops. To be fair, they've never been good with marketing.

All those years of confusion, and look what they've done: Range Rover is nearly it's own brand again...

That as well was a foolish move on their part.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.