Odd rear wiper issue, 97 D1

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
The rear wiper on the D1 has an interesting condition I can't figure out.

When I have the ignition turned to accessories on, but with the engine not running, the rear wiper will work as normal.

If turn the key all the way, without stopping at accessories, and start the truck the rear wiper button will not work.

If I go to accessories on, hit the wiper button, leave the button depressed, and then start the truck, the wiper will run.

Damn wiper just won't run if I start the truck normally and then turn the rear wiper on.

My son mentioned it was acting up, but the more serious ignition issue I had over the holidays took my attention away.

Last edited:

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
all doors closed. did it again this morning. turned the ignition to acc and the wiper worked. started the engine and drove around. wiper won't work. something in the MFU or in a switch has gone rogue.

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
No alarm issues and dome light works normally too. Trying to understand why wiper would work normally with the electrical system on, but not work when the truck is started. Obviously power is getting to it so the switch works. What would send a signal to stop it from working?

Today I got in the truck, turn the ignition to "ACC", hit the wiper button, and then start the truck, it works fine.

Later, I started the truck normally and THEN hit the wiper button. It won't work.

ukoffroad

Jan 13, 2010
Lynchburg, Va
I think Chapman had this issue some years ago and figured it out but since I do not have a DI I did not pay that much attention. Try searching for it.

mrbieler

Sep 15, 2004
Lost Angeles
Issue is currently resolved. I say currently because I'm not sure what I did.

Removed and cleaned the dash switch and connections. No change. Removed and cleaned the connection at the wiper motor. No change. Gave the rear of the motor a hard knock with the screw driver handle in frustration. No change.

While back there I yanked out the old busted rear door speakers (not the original radio so they weren't functional anyway).

Got back in the truck. Rain started again. Wiper works.

Must be something in the water...