DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 PM

armadillorocs

Battery going dead
? on: August 30, 2005, 05:13:41 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help,
97 Disco, the battery keeps going dead. New yellow top, had checked (700 cranking amps down to 62) charged and it was ok. Alt. checked charging @ 15. ok I,m stumped have disconnected the stero, after market alarm and remote start, and extra lights. Still won't stay charged Will start with a jump or a battery pack. Any ideas
Tim

Report to moderator 151.199.87.83

lrmike
ROAV Board Member- Past and Present

Kids just gotta play..

Re: Battery going dead
? Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:49:29 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How long does it take to discharge? I've seen relays stick on, or alternators that cause a draw when the car is off.
If you put a test light in series with the main battery cable (take off the neg cable, put test light between neg cable and neg post of battery) it will light up bright when a load is present. A very dim light may be normal from the radio, computers, etc.
Once you've got a bright light, pull fuses 1 at a time until it goes out - there's the source of your draw! Make sure yout doors are closed and key out of ignition when checking this way

Report to moderator Logged

Mike Mason
If it's not leaking, it's out of oil!

armadillorocs

? Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 06:03:27 PM ?

It takes about 3 days if I don't drive it, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks

lrmike

Kids just gotta play..

? Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 06:05:20 PM ?

Maybe it's just saying 'DRIVE ME!'

Mike Mason

armadillorocs

? Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 06:10:01 PM ?

Yea probally sooooooooooo

armadillorocs

? Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 06:20:11 PM ?

I drove it home from work today , jumped it with a battery pack . The drive home should have charged it enought to start. A no go!
Could that be that the battery is to dead to charge or the the Alt. is not charging properly?

ROAV Admin
Administrator

? Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 09:47:19 PM ?

If your alternator is getting somewhere in the 14 to 14.4 volts at 2000 rpm, it's doing its job. Make sure it doesn't exceed the mid 14's like mine recently did- too much voltage will cook the battery. I had a red top go to heck in a handbasket recently because the voltage regulator in the alternator was allowing too much voltage.

WILLTILLERY

? Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 08:14:24 AM ?

Check your grounds.

Dead Battery/No Charge EI 0-0 Top of right shock tower bracket
Dead Battery/No Charge EI 81 Behind the battery at the horn bracket
Dead Battery/No Charge E500 On the accessory bracket, behind the tensioner pulley
Dead Battery/No Charge EI09 On the inside of the right frame rail, below the battery
No Start EI 04 On the right frame rail inside the wheel well, behind the body mount
No Start/Starter solenoid relay E205, E220 At the right foot well, behind the trim panel

lrmike

Kids just gotta play..

? Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 09:07:43 AM ?

That's some cool info! I may have to write that down..

Mike Mason

armadillorocs

? Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 06:57:12 PM ?

Thanks Will for the info, thats great. I'll be checking all of them.
Will print for future needs.
Tim

Report to moderator 70.110.2.151

armadillorocs

? Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 11:49:22 AM ?

WILL,
All grounds listed are ok.
I had a guy that works on Lucas Elec. He said it could be the batteryb, but I had the problem before the yellow top, he also stated that it could be the alt. that it could have a short inside in one of the diodes. The alt is charging fine though,it charges about 13.94 Any more thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim

WILLTILLERY

? Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 11:05:09 AM ?

DOES THE TRUCK EVER START FUNNY???STARTER STICK OR MAKE A "WILD" DIFFERENT NOISE?

Keith Parkin

? Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 11:56:16 AM ?

I have the same problem with my 97 D-90. I looked for the short and couldn't find it. I think it's the alternator. So instead of replacing that I put a battery disconnect on the battery box under the drivers seat. It's just a switch I flip before I start up. It's also a good theft deterrent.
Keith,

armadillorocs

? Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 04:53:25 PM ?

Well the truck starts fine when the batterys not dead. No funny noises, nothing that indicates a bad starter.
Since my yellow top was still under warrenty, I took it back to Advance and traded it on a new one. Had it tested with the old one and with the new one. Alt. working like always, but with the old battery in and the tester connected the starter drew the battery down and with the new one, no change in battery performance. The guy there said that indicated a bad battery.
We will see from here what happens. Have not found a short yet, but have thoiught about a battery disconnect. I would justnloose ball of my raido presets, kind of annoying.

Thanks for your input,
Tim

WILLTILLERY

? Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 05:16:33 PM ?

Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light, hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. The test light will glow or ?light? if there is a drain. If the ?light or glow? is faint, that is probably normal draw for the clock or radio. If the ?light or glow? is bright, then there is a large drain. That should be corrected. Now start removing and replacing the fuses one by one until the light goes out; that one will be the circuit with the drain. Remember to hold in the button in the door jam for the interior lights.

IF NOTHING SHOWS UP OR YOU CAN NOT GET THE LIGHT OFF THEN First place I would look at is the starter. Starters have been known to short out at the solenoid and cause a constant drain to ground.

? Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:18:22 PM by WILLTILLERY ? Report to moderator Logged

Pages: [1] 2

? previous next ?

Jump to: Please select a destination: ----------------------------- General Category ----------------------------- => General Discussion => Trucks and Bits => Mechanical Help => MAR 2005

roav.org | Powered by SMF 1.0.5.
? 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Landrover91; 09-20-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did that thought I found the culprit. Traced it bacl to the LUCAS box under the passenger footwell.My after market alarm is wired in to the old one there(thought the culprit was the raido) took the cover off, everything looks ok yea right DAMN LUCAS!! well the alarm the came with the beast is not activated (or so I thought) and will not disarm and the truck will not start! Light on dash continually blinks.
NOW What! How dose one disarm the orginal alarm without the fobs? It has been deactivated for 3 yrs thus the after market alarm and the remote start.
Need Help
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by Landrover91; 09-20-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 PM

Happened to me to. Only way of keeping it charged was a maintenance charger. After a few months of this the alt crapped out on me.
Also check wires around alternator for arcing