DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM

So every once in a while, when I turn the key, absolutely nothing will happen. At first I would just let off the key and try again, but found that if I hold the key in the starting position for several seconds, the starter will eventually come to life and start turning the engine. Which leads to the 2nd problem: lots of turning but no firing. Funny thing is, it can be weeks before it happens again.
I have to let off the key and try again (usually there is no delay in the starter kicking on after it happens the first time) for it to work. One thing that I have to do is turn the ignition all the way off, then back on, and leave the key in run for a few seconds, then start up. At first I thought this was an intermittent fuel pump problem since it had been making a really super loud whine every once in a while then going quiet again - sometimes after starting the truck it would sputter and cough even under throttle while I was still parked but eventually it would clear up - so I figured it was a fuel issue and not the stepper motor.
So I thought what the heck, I have over 130K miles on it, I’ll replace the fuel pump and fuel filter along with it. Cheap and easy to do on a Discovery (was a total fiasco to do on my P38 recently –no access hatch and 12+ gals of fuel in the tank!). The good news is the pressure is right at spec now as the old pump was tired and running a bit weak. I was all happy and then it happened...just a couple hours after I replace the pump yesterday, I get in, turn the key, nothing. I leave it in the run pos. for a few seconds and it starts turning, never fires but its definitely getting fuel and I can hear the fuel pump running. Turn the ignition all the way off, wait a few secs, try again and it fires up perfectly.
Its tricky to check for spark because I’m always in a spot where I cant be messing with the truck and just need it to start, but also because it almost always works on the 2nd try.

Any ideas? Some kinda relay maybe?

1997 Disco SD - Beatrix
1998 RR 4.6 HSE - The HMS Queen Mary

Last edited by fiftywattplexi; 06-12-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 PM

battery.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Battery is brand new tests good, alt is also new. New ground cable as well.

It doesnt start sluggishly, it just doenst start. No starter clicking etc, no nothing, its like I am not even turing the key except for everything lights up on the dash etc as it should.

1997 Disco SD - Beatrix
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 AM

I have the exact same problem. It is very intermittent and has never stranded me. Sometimes I've gone 6 months without a problem. I usually get both the no start (no turn-over, nothing) and then the turn-over with no firing in the same attempt. Second or third try it always starts. I have a strong starter and new battery, ignition switch, and fuel pump. I think it has to do with the alarm system or some signal the ecu is missing, but my diagnosis skills are limited. I hope someone has solved this.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 AM
What happened to my title?

mine will do this same thing on occasion too...I was thinking maybe it's the start inhibitor switch but I don't know.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

sounds like a strange one. I had the exact problem that would only act up once in a while. I had my battery tested maybe 3-4 different times and the test always came back good, my battery apparently wasnt the issue. After leaving me stranded in my driveway one morning before work I swapped out the battery from my wifes minivan and havent had the problem since...since then i put in a new battery and the problem is non existant......I know the multiple tests showed a good battery but im just sayin.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM

I actually had like 3-4 batteries go bad in a row from Auto Zone, all Duralast Golds too. I had a problem that was putting a 500mA draw on the battery when the truck was off (the key was getting stuck in the ignition) and it would just obliterate the battery after a few weeks and they would test bad both at home at at Auto Zone. I then fixed the problem and got the battery replaced a final time, its been fine other than this same delayed start issue having persisted intermittently since well before I replaced the battery the first time when the drain issue started.

1997 Disco SD - Beatrix
Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Definately sounds like and electrical fault. HAve you checked for corroded ECU terminals, bad main earth, loose ignition fuse, etc??
Also possibly an alarm/immobiliser fault. You need to start eliminating the possibilities.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:28 PM

Mine 96 D1 does the exact same thing. It must be a common problem. It is NOT a Battery problem. I was think of throwing starter on it just for safety sake. But I realy think it is something in the alarm system not turning the ecu on and not alowing cranking. I was going to bypass the spider but it does have one. From what I can tell the alarm unit tells the ecu to function with a code or some other signal and it can't be bypassed (the alarm unit that is). I wonder if some expert car theifs out ther than can help use with this problem.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 AM

I'm having the same problem . No spark, no fuel pump. Tested the fuel pump by jumping it and the pump works.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM

Ignition switch.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM

Ya would like to know what was the problem I'm having the same symptoms myself I tried used- but working crank sensor and nothing..... Again no spark and hesitant on starting when I put the key in last position ..... Man I gotta figure this out.
03 disco pos
97 disco xd
96 disco 5spd
95 disco 5spd
95 disco auto Will Till's
95 disco auto coniston green
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Its the multi function relay under the hood.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWB100820LG.cfm

'97 Disco with 222,000 miles, 2nd owner, ARB winch bumper, SD roof rack, RoverRacks ladder, daily driver.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike555
Its the multi function relay under the hood.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWB100820LG.cfm
thank you. will look into buying one tomorrow.
03 disco pos
97 disco xd
96 disco 5spd
95 disco 5spd
95 disco auto Will Till's
95 disco auto coniston green
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 PM

I had the exact same problem, turn key nothing, try again and she'd start.
Turn key and cranks but no start, cranked fast so lack of fuel.
Bought a relay used, known good working order, swapped them out, threw mine in the glove box, its been a year and no problems since.
Mine only happened when really cold, like single digits.
The relays were worn and would not energize when cold.

'97 Disco with 222,000 miles, 2nd owner, ARB winch bumper, SD roof rack, RoverRacks ladder, daily driver.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingcamel
Ignition switch.
That's what I was thinking.
1999 P38 SOLD
1993 RRC LWB SOLD

"If the battery dies, expect to spend a small fortune for the battery and having all 26 computers reset as they will all fault out and go into fuck you mode" P.T. Schram