DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
I was looking through the Trips forum here on DWeb tonight and it bummed me out a little. Whatever happened to DWeb people taking epic trips out west?

Whatever happened to the trip reports, stories of unbelievable trail fixes, the amazing photos?

Even the guys out west have been quiet.
Chris, there is at least one epic trip coming together right before your eyes:

http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75974

A bunch of volunteers from around the country heading to Mexico to be part of a support crew for a 4-day desert endurance race? Could be epic. Unbelievable trail fixes highly likely. Amazing photos guaranteed. So far most of the participants are west of the Mississippi, with the exception of Marty and PT.

If it wasn't for Dweb I never would have met Elias, never would have done my own head gaskets, and never would have had the idea to be a part of a Rover race team. I'll be posting photos and live updates during the race on the team's Facebook page plus several other guys from here have generously offered their trucks and skills for the support crew. Far from being dead, I'd say this is an innovative "open source" approach to having an epic trip.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 PM

We've always got a handful of cool trips on our schedule. Though I enjoying darting off on my own somewhere without clients just the same.

I have December off and am hoping Mongo will play with me in Copper Canyon.

I think it's just hard for people to take two weeks off in order to really complete a good trip that takes the time necessary to make it worth while.

The trip I run to Newfoundland/Labrador is 14 days and that's just barely enough time. I could easily spend a month up there and not see enough. Amazing place.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
NW5W
Administrator

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela
A bunch of volunteers from around the country heading to Mexico to be part of a support crew for a 4-day desert endurance race? Could be epic. Unbelievable trail fixes highly likely. Amazing photos guaranteed. So far most of the participants are west of the Mississippi, with the exception of Marty and PT.
That sounds pretty sweet. Who all is going? It would be fun to just follow it and shoot photos. Is there a big enough support team to be self-supporting (recovery, etc.) without interfering with the truck that's racing?

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012 / 2013
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverrocks
Define "Moron Hordes"? Define "Ex-Po Type people"? Define "old time" Dwebbers ( God's gift to the World obviously ) versus any other Rover type of person? Myself as a quite new poster on Dweb who doesn't post very often probably fits your definition of a Moron Horder or whatever. Do I wheel? Constantly and often. Lots of different places for years? Constantly and often in Colorado and Utah and occasionally Arizona. Do I or would I post it here? No. Do I post a few of my travels elsewhere? Yes. Do I wheel a lot more with Jeepers than Rovers? 99% yes. Enjoy the much DWEB hated Moab Jeep Safari even with a Rover in a sea of Jeeps? Yes, more so than the couple of LRNR I have attended. Why do I even check this website out you ask? Old, bored, stupid, and like to be amazed at the epic nastiness inherent here towards everything and anything.
Hey guys please don't stop being nasty about everything and anything just cause it bothers this guy. Thats what I like about you the most.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
KN4CBB

Member Trucks
I enjoy the nastiness. It comes with a large helping of invaluable knowledge.

It's akin to a group of friends sitting around a campfire and giving each other shit. The ones that cry about their hurt cunts are often the ones that you're better off without.

'07 LR3
Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Needs to get a life

well - how's this for a crazy trip:

http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75974

www.worldprovenlr.com
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Lucky8 Off Road

Chris
The Easter Trip we do has people from all over and most are on Dweb. Next years trip we have a few people on the list form TX wanting to go. I will stress the wanting. It would be a 30 hr drive to the start, and then the Trip and 30hrs back. That is a lot of seat time, plus the cost of fuel and time off of work it makes these kinds of trips harder to do in one of the worst economies we have seen in this great nation. I know for a fact it is not that people do not want to go but the finical burden can prove too much for some. That said some how we have the trip every year and last year we even had a Guest from the UK.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Member Trucks
Honestly, I can't really help but to feel apart of the beginning of the "moron hoard".

I joined this site sometime in 2006 after the purchase of my 1998 DI. (Which replaced my XJ, Ironically).

I don't feel the need to go on "epic trips". I don't feel the need to have "un-real trail fixes". Preferably, I enjoy going wheeling on the weekends about 4 times a year if Im lucky and making it home.

I like running bigger and bigger obstacles as I grow with my experience and as my truck grows. Even though I've owned 4-5 rovers, and worked on a few more than that, I've really only wheeled 1 of them. And my intent was never to travel the world with it. I did have an idea to take it across Canada once but, then I got a real job, a mortgage, and Im getting married in about 45 days. It's just out of the picture for me.

I don't live for epic travels and being away from safety and hours away from electricity and all that. I do enjoy conquering new obstacles at Uwharrie that I haven't been able to reach before. Sometimes that is because my truck is more capable, sometimes its because I don't give as much of a fuck as I did the time before.

Almost as soon as I bought my DI and started modifying it, I dreamed of buying another car as a daily driver so I didn't need to worry about the reliability of it. I wanted to be able to drive wherever the hell I wanted, then get a AAA membership and wheel hard without worries on the weekends.

I might be part of the "moron hoard" but, you know what? I don't give a flying fuck.

I have learned so much from this site, from the lifelong friends I have made here, and from my personal experiences from dealing with a vehicle that I truly love. I am in love with my DI. Call it gay, I don't really give a fuck.

So, keep throwing around the term "Moron Hoard". There are a few of you that I think are complete fucking idiots. But, I'll call you out and tell you to your face. Ask anybody, they'll tell you I will.

But, moving forward, Im probably never going to go on an epic trip but, I will share much of the knowledge I've learned so far and the knowledge I will gain in the future with my children, and hopefully they will carry on most of that (maybe more) to continue the love affair I have with these old eurotrash cars.

I think that any real mechanical knowledge passed on is good knowledge compared to the bullshit these kids are fed these days. Not to mention the "knowledge" that most of the 20 somethings have these days.

I may be part of the "Moron hoard" but Im not a complete fucking retard like most of the youth these days. I have a career, a mortgage, a woman I love, a future father in law that I hate, and 3 land rovers in the driveway.

Im 25 btw.

Thanks if you're still with me.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:30 PM

I've never been one for epic trips or taking the extreme line just to see how much shit I can break. But for the first few years after I got my Rover I was out constantly offroading. Always in a really small group, and sometimes they were quickie 1 hour in n' out trips. But I had an absolute blast in the early years! Since I've moved to Missouri I admit I've only gone out twice. Once with a club group, which no offense, reminded why I dislike club adventures. Then once for a week solo trip to LBL which was phenomonal and I would love to do again. Sadly, my enthusiast time has been relegated more to hobby vehicle repair and having a kick ass driveway ornament since I just don't have the time to finish my truck. Time will be even more limited if I take the promotion at work next month.

My Rover enjoyment now just comes from hearing what other people are doing, learning tricks n tips (that I'll probably never get a chance to really use) and just cutting the bull with my cyberfriends that I have something in common with. Obviously, I don't really fit in very well with most people so here is where I come to be myself.

I'm grateful for the old Dweb and I still enjoy hanging out here. Nothing stays the same and to hold on to the past is an effort in futility. Roll with the changes baby!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
That sounds pretty sweet. Who all is going? It would be fun to just follow it and shoot photos. Is there a big enough support team to be self-supporting (recovery, etc.) without interfering with the truck that's racing?
Ha! Got a bite! Good. From this site there's Elias, who is the leader of this crazy trip, Mongo has volunteered to help and bring enough radios to equip a tank battalion, and knewsom has threatened to come and film all the action. Plus Marty, who has been supplying the race truck with parts, and if we're lucky PT will be out there, too. And me, whose mechanical expertise is a little short of "aspiring shade tree mechanic" but makes up for it with an attention to detail for planning. So a pretty strong D-web showing. I'm looking forward to meeting these folks. That's part of the beauty of this trip- complete strangers coming together united around a shared love of Rovers, a sense of adventure, and a competitive spirit.

Opportunities to participate span a range from "I want to park along the course and stand on the roof of my truck drinking beer and cheering as Elias thunders past" all the way up to "I want to spend all night in the pit under the truck with oil dripping in my face and turning wrenches". What's your pleasure?

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM

Member Trucks
I managed to drive my Rover to the grocery store and filled it up with fuel, it was epic.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Asshole Extrordinaire

I'm one of the Moron Horde

Seriously, I spent more on gas for a trip up north than I did to drive my truck across the country 6 years ago.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett

I think it's just hard for people to take two weeks off in order to really complete a good trip that takes the time necessary to make it worth while.

The trip I run to Newfoundland/Labrador is 14 days and that's just barely enough time. I could easily spend a month up there and not see enough. Amazing place.
You have no idea. I have a lot of friends that only get 2 weeks per year. Throw a family into the mix and it makes it eben harder. Even people that have more than two weeks are hesitant to take it in this shitty economy.
I'm one of the few lucky guys that gets about 7 weeks off every year.

That Newfoundland trip sounds sweet . My mother has been bugging me to visit that place.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett
Yeah, that's a major problem. Even though I have close to 200 hours of vacation time and 150 hours of comp time banked up, our staffing is to low for me to ever take off time when I want it. UVA is complaining about how they request 25 Officers to work home football games and we can only provide 15-20 each time. Games pay $40 an hour and in past years we could just comp out from work and work the game instead, but now we don't have enough people to even do that so only people scheduled to be off are able to fill the spots and with only one saturday off a month I probably won't get to work any games. So it hurts your wallet and trip plans. It was like pulling teeth just trying to get off the thursday to go to URE and that could be canceled at anytime. Luckily I'm off that weekend no matter what. When I get the TDI truck finished I want to drive it out west, but that will require knowing when and for how long way way in advance.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 AM
AK6PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRFlip
I don't feel the need to go on "epic trips". I don't feel the need to have "un-real trail fixes". Preferably, I enjoy going wheeling on the weekends about 4 times a year if Im lucky and making it home.

I like running bigger and bigger obstacles as I grow with my experience and as my truck grows. Even though I've owned 4-5 rovers, and worked on a few more than that, I've really only wheeled 1 of them. And my intent was never to travel the world with it. I did have an idea to take it across Canada once but, then I got a real job, a mortgage, and Im getting married in about 45 days. It's just out of the picture for me.
I think you've just summed up the essence of "Moronic Hordes." (no offense intended).

The appeal of the Discovery was the "jack of all trades" nature of the vehicle - unlike most others, you can take it on a very long highway ride, and then do some serious wheeling. For local "bigger and biggerr" obstacles, you'd be better served with a Sami or Bronco or K-5/10/20 or Dodge or widetrack Cherokee. which is what the local guys do. You even own one.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Encyclopaedia Brown

Location: In the shop doing the Lord's work one broken Rover at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRflip
Im 25 btw.

Thanks if you're still with me.
Oh to be 25 and have it all before me again!

I'm still in the parts and engine building business-my service activities are being reduced, not my interest in serving the Rover community

I am easily contacted via text message to 260-804-0458 or pt@ptschram.com. PMs are least reliable
Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

PM had it right. It's been the case for a long while. Rovers are everywhere on the market, and they are cheap. This point has come up repeatedly over the years, and it's just as true as it always was. It's like that with any premium car that's got a bit of age on it, but it's more obvious with Rovers for a number of reasons.

There are a lot of vehicles out there that won't see a long trip again, because they aren't in a good state of repair, or are not intelligently modified. Cheap bastard has become "cool".

Now, there is a lot of fun to be had with beaters, but you just can't pick up a Rover like that and really get into it all. A Rover in good repair is wonderful, and will take you anywhere you want to go. A Rover in bad repair is a nightmare, and frequently won't take you across town. People buy into that nightmare, instead of buying another vehicle that is in better shape.

The old guard was different. That's just the way it is. It was a more mechanically sound crowd, that focused on the best in the market. The magic is still there for some people, and not everyone is prone to open up anymore. Over time, it's easy to become frustrated with the changes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being on a budget. We've all been there, and it's fine. The problem arises when one fails to recognize that situation, and buys himself into a hole he can't get out of within reason and without loads of help he won't observe.

People just found something else to do. The trips are still there, they just aren't as publicized. It's the "in crowd" from the old days, and new people they can level with.

Now, some of us never publicized anything, or simply aren't social creatures. I'm one of those. I still get out, but you will never see me passing around invitations. I've just never been interested in it all. You won't find me at a rally, either. I bought this thing to get away from people, not to join a convoy.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in the community, it just means I'm going places that are different, and I'm going alone or with a select few people.

Discoweb used to be different. It's still a great place to hang out, but the discussions have changed over time, and leaned toward more mundane and practical subjects. There was a time when even I frequented the technical boards, but it's been the same shit for a while now, and I rarely think to have a look.

There was a time when even the most influential people found themselves at the mercy of the mob, and when people were FAR more aggressive about everything. Some entirely respectable people would let it all hang the fuck out here, and bite each others heads off. Some of those people went somewhere else, and some made their own place to hang out, with people of the same interests.

Now, there have always been those who needed some serious direction so far as their Rovers were concerned. Some of those people have learned their lessons, and are now doing things they considered "pompous" in the past. People live and learn.

So, many of the former active members, who frequently posted about the epic American trips they enjoyed (or were about to enjoy) have simply found other people to talk to. That's because those members are generally people who really got into Rovers, and who faded away because they wanted to hang out with people who felt the same way, or simply found themselves in a pool with people they didn't understand.

This isn't a bashing post. It's just an observation of things that changed over time. It's been discussed and mentioned before in some detail, and the conclusion is generally the same. The cars were just passed down to a different crowd. Not an inferior crowd, but a different one to which people find difficult to relate, at times... Even those who were once a part of a very similar crowd.

Things change. We don't all have to like it, but things change nonetheless.

The Rover world jus ain't what it useta bee.

Nothing ever is.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by p m
I think you've just summed up the essence of "Moronic Hordes." (no offense intended).

The appeal of the Discovery was the "jack of all trades" nature of the vehicle - unlike most others, you can take it on a very long highway ride, and then do some serious wheeling. For local "bigger and biggerr" obstacles, you'd be better served with a Sami or Bronco or K-5/10/20 or Dodge or widetrack Cherokee. which is what the local guys do. You even own one.
I know what you mean and no offense taken.

For the type of wheeling I do, it would be smart to buy something cheaper, easier to fix, and easier to buy replacements/upgrades for. But, Im not going to go out and spend money on something that I just do not like.

Im going to keep on with my D1 and modify it to my taste, fixing what breaks, and see where it takes me in the wheeling world. Probably not to Moab, but surely within a 300 mile radius so I could get AAA to get me back home.

Now, I may be part of what you guys are referring to as the "Moron Hoarde" but, I don't consider myself a Moron.

Im just using a vehicle for one purpose, and all you old school guys are using it for another.

If you guys want to be too cool for school: "I went on expedition trips, shit in holes I dug, and filtered my coffee grounds with my underwear before it was cool." then so be it.

I like the way I wheel, I like my friends that wheel the same way I do. I like not having to look at "Bill Burke Bugout Bag" and a survival bracelet everytime I go camping.

This isn't the Moron Hoarde, maybe it's just a new school of thought.

Remember, the economy is a factor. This type of economy is how cassaroles were created.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
WZ7V

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRflip

Now, I may be part of what you guys are referring to as the "Moron Hoarde" but, I don't consider myself a Moron.
Not to change the subject, but I can't get past this. Why do are you quoting Moron Hoarde? Are you pointing out that someone else misspelled and misused the word? Are you using the quotes for emphasis?

FYI: a horde is a large group of people and I'm sure when JSQ used the term he actually spelled it that way.
To hoard is to accumulate for future use.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Member Trucks
I've been here since 2001/2002. I'm sure some consider me a member of the moron horde since I've used my truck more as a daily driver than a fourwheeling vessel. Trips to the family cabin are most of her off-pavement duties these days. And there really isn't a lot of open, public land left around us for exploration.

I'd still love to take an "epic trip" out West in my truck. But even though I drive it every day I'm not sure I would trust it enough at 16+years old to make it out, run some trails, and come home. Time will tell.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Not to change the subject, but I can't get past this. Why do are you quoting Moron Hoarde? Are you pointing out that someone else misspelled and misused the word? Are you using the quotes for emphasis?

FYI: a horde is a large group of people and I'm sure when JSQ used the term he actually spelled it that way.
To hoard is to accumulate for future use.
Mike, no problem...Im using the term how it's meant to be used. I've just been spelling it wrong. I think in the 2 or 3 times I've used it, I've probably spelled it a few different ways. Correct grammar, incorrect spelling.

And I am using the quotes for emphasis, which I know does get annoying. So, my apologies for that.

I'm just admitting to being apart of a problem that I don't think really exists.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM

I've been around Discoweb on and off since the beginning some eleven to twelve years ago and would read the Axle Files and Disco Ho before that. Over the years my life has changed like I'm sure most other's have as well. I've gotten married, lost a job, I've had two kids, an illness I just can't shake, and I enjoy doing different things now than I did ten years ago. I'm sure some of the "Old Timers" that are talked about here are still doing the same things they were before, which was hanging out with their friends and doing what they liked to do. Maybe what they like to do has changed or maybe they just enjoy doing it and could care less about sharing their "epic trips" with other people outside of their group. Since I tend to ramble and not make sense I'll just put it this way.. People change with time.

Last edited by Eric N.; 09-13-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM

i'm lucky to even get 3 straight days away from the family and when i do i dont want to spend them nursing someone's poorly maintained rover down from the mountain. plus when i go out i like to do some shooting then sit around the camp fire and do more than my fair share of drinking which most club members probably wouldnt be copacetic with.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM

I'm a member of the moron hoard.
I'm dumfounded, when I let myself think about it, by what I find in my garage. Like the six Series 1 exhaust pipes hanging on the wall. Or the shelf of rusty SIIa & III gearbox internals, the 5 gal pail of lug nuts, the three 2.25 engines or the...well, I could go on for a while.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1
95 D90
Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 PM
NW5W
Administrator

Member Trucks
Matt, this thread wasn't intended to be a slight to anybody here, you included. I posted this as a lament for the slowly vanishing ethic that used to define--from my perspective--Discoweb. I haven't been around this place long enough to pinpoint with any authority when things started to change but I know that they have. I choose "epic trips" (obviously everybody hates that word) as a metric of this change but there are plenty of others. Declining innovation in the tech forums is one. Old members posting less is another. Kennith, Peter, Mike and Eric have answered my questions with valuable insight. Things have changed for a number of reasons and the change is probably permanent. It's good to know that folks like Elias and Nicholas are still organizing the big trips and I'm going to try my best to participate in these. I also hope to put an open invite trip together in the near future for anybody who wants to come.

I am not a Discoweb old-timer by any sense. I joined in 2005 and I'm definitely a part of the Moron Horde. Back then, my D90 had a lot of issues and I was totally rookied-out when it came to mechanicals, driving skills, gear, etc. I feel fortunate that I got a lot of tough DWeb love from people like Jack Quinlan, Marc Olivares and the Rupp brothers. Me and my truck have been lit up in many threads here and those threads inspired me to improve my game. I have a long way to go but I'm grateful that I finally have a truck and some baseline skills that can get me through an extended trip to a place like Southern Utah. It's just a bummer that--for all of the reasons pointed out in this thread--these trips are happening much less often now. I'm still getting out there and I will try to keep the tradition alive if there are others here that are game.

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012 / 2013