DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM
KN4KFS

The 2019 Jeep Gladiator Is the Glorious Jeep Pickup You've Been Dreaming of for the Past 26 Years

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
THe wheel base is too long to be any good offroad without massive 40"+ tires. Same issue every Tacoma owner finds out when they think they have the ultimate offroader! lol I do like the idea though.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
THe wheel base is too long to be any good offroad without massive 40"+ tires. Same issue every Tacoma owner finds out when they think they have the ultimate offroader! lol I do like the idea though.
Maybe so, but it'll probably be the first Jeep to ever handle worth a shit. They've always been a few inches short or long.

This one might be on my short list.

You can get a lot of tire under there without much lift, and it'll be easier as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if there were retro front end conversions within a year of release, as well.

This has the potential to be one of the most entertaining "project" vehicles released in decades.

It's too bad it wouldn't make sense to have deployable rollover protection. That thing would be a must-have if it was flat as a board with the top off.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Looks very cool to me. And decently equipped:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2A67364-E9F6-4411-AFFD-875DED2405FF.jpg (115.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 PM
KN4PCA

Member Trucks
I dislike Jeeps, and really almost all Chrysler products, but this thing is just so cool looking. They’re going to sell the fuck out of them.
2000 Discovery 2 - CDL/3" lift/Detroit - sold
2006 Tundra Limited - sold, and sorely missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog01 View Post
HOLY SHIT!!!! You guys are crazy!!!! What's next? Salt malts served through a meat straw?????
Old 11-28-2018, 08:03 PM

I had it up on the screen a few minutes ago, and a family member stopped by. First thing out of her mouth was noting that it looked "like one of those old Rover pickups".

I just slapped the Gladiator up next to a silver 130 double cab high cap... It's fucking hilarious how close they are. Part is due to packaging, and part simply styling, but it's funny either way. There wasn't much of a way around it.

Land Rover can't say shit about it, though. That's the ultimate "pot vs kettle" scenario.

I considered that, between this and the Ridgeline, we've now got both ends of a truck spectrum we should have had all along. If only someone would bridge the gap...

Dear Land Rover,

Will you please build me a relatively compact pickup that straddles the line between that Ridgeline and Gladiator?

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:09 PM

The Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier straddle the line/valley between gay Ridgeline and butch Gladiator.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Its not good at being an offroad Jeep due to its terrible break over and departure angle. And its not that great at being a pickup with its small bed. While the towing capacity is actually impressive.

So I cant see why you would NEED one, but Im sure plenty of people will buy them anyway
Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 PM
KN4PCA

Member Trucks
Quote:
Apparently it?s sold with 33s, but they designed it to accept 35s with no lift (the spare tire well is big enough to fit a 35) and 37s fit with minimal lift. Kinda neat that they assume and plan for the stuff that people will inevitably do to it.
2000 Discovery 2 - CDL/3" lift/Detroit - sold
2006 Tundra Limited - sold, and sorely missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog01 View Post
HOLY SHIT!!!! You guys are crazy!!!! What's next? Salt malts served through a meat straw?????
Old 11-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumwarp View Post
Apparently it?s sold with 33s, but they designed it to accept 35s with no lift (the spare tire well is big enough to fit a 35) and 37s fit with minimal lift. Kinda neat that they assume and plan for the stuff that people will inevitably do to it.

The Rubicon should come with 35's stock in my opinion. This thing is longer than the current 4 door JK which already has issues in the rocks unless they are on 37's and up.

Im sure it will be a cool beach runner or over-landing platform, but a long wheelbase in the technical stuff just doesnt work out well unless it's on massive tires.

Now a 2 door pickup like the Brute kit would be cool.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERover82 View Post
The Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier straddle the line/valley between gay Ridgeline and butch Gladiator.
Those all have the same problem: Log in the back, bouncy castle in the front.

That is indeed a pint of half and half, but it's not straddling that line.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:49 AM

Damn, they forgot the doors and the roof...

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 AM

Got to give Jeep credit, that thing is pretty cool. I agree it's too long to really technical stuff, but then again, that's a pretty small portion of the market. I see tons of lifted 4 door Jeeps around here with bumpers and winches. I'd wager that 90% have never seen dirt, much less have a need to use the winch. Lot more mall crawlers that rock crawlers around. The Gladiator will sell like hot cakes.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
I just slapped the Gladiator up next to a silver 130 double cab high cap... It's fucking hilarious how close they are.
Exactly. And when the Jeep is offered with a diesel here in the USA, pretty nice package.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM

The Prospector and Prospector XL are already interesting, the agreements are largely in place, and there's certainly room for a worked-over Gladiator in that family. I wonder if AEV already has a plan in place to alter the vehicle...

Honestly, given their close ties these days, I'd not be surprised if they were at the design table early on during the Gladiator's creation.

FCA just sold a shit-load of Jeeps with those pictures, and I would imagine they all know this is a perfect time to resurrect or reinvent the Brute branding.

Cheers,

Kennith

I own a magical island.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Encyclopaedia Brown

Location: In the shop doing the Lord's work one broken Rover at a time
I think I may have seen one on the road yesterday. It was covered with what looked like zippered coverings.

It did nothing to disguise the distinctive shape, but Boy Howdy did they disguise the profile details.

I'm still in the parts and engine building business-my service activities are being reduced, not my interest in serving the Rover community

I am easily contacted via text message to 260-804-0458 or pt@ptschram.com. PMs are least reliable
Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Member Trucks
Saw a comparison shot and it seems to have the same relative dimensions as the old Hummer H5 pickup. Just can’t get over how long the wheelbase is but guess it’s not that far off a lot of other mid-sized 4 door pickups. Guess I’ve just been spoiled with the short wheelbase of Rovers
Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
Got to give Jeep credit, that thing is pretty cool. I agree it's too long to really technical stuff, but then again, that's a pretty small portion of the market. I see tons of lifted 4 door Jeeps around here with bumpers and winches. I'd wager that 90% have never seen dirt, much less have a need to use the winch. Lot more mall crawlers that rock crawlers around. The Gladiator will sell like hot cakes.

I agree, but thats why I wont own one. Too many posers. Theres a lifted JK at every stoplight. Maybe 1 out 10 JK owners actually wheel theirs.

This is more my speed. But they cost too damn much!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM

Rover just screwed the pooch.....again. You think they would have learned with the Explorer, I mean Discovery 5. They drag their feet and get beat to the market, then they're always being compared back to something else.

Now Rover has drug their feet again with the new Defender, and guess what? Jeep just released the new Defender 130(Gladiator). It won't matter what Rover comes out with, there's a 99.9% chance it won't be as cool as the Gladiator, but will probably cost more.

The new Defender will look like shit, but the faithful will justify buying it to themselves somehow, just like they did with the Discovery Cinco. Everyone knows its a turd, but people justify it by saying "it grows on you"or "it looks better in person". Nobody has to say that about the Gladiator. It looks like it should.

Congratulations Rover, you just lost half your Defender market before you even released it.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Encyclopaedia Brown

Location: In the shop doing the Lord's work one broken Rover at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Saw a comparison shot and it seems to have the same relative dimensions as the old Hummer H5 pickup. Just can?t get over how long the wheelbase is but guess it?s not that far off a lot of other mid-sized 4 door pickups. Guess I?ve just been spoiled with the short wheelbase of Rovers
That was what I thought I'd seen yesterday, but closer look revealed it was probably the Jeep

I'm still in the parts and engine building business-my service activities are being reduced, not my interest in serving the Rover community

I am easily contacted via text message to 260-804-0458 or pt@ptschram.com. PMs are least reliable
Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Rover just screwed the pooch.....again. You think they would have learned with the Explorer, I mean Discovery 5. They drag their feet and get beat to the market, then they're always being compared back to something else.

Now Rover has drug their feet again with the new Defender, and guess what? Jeep just released the new Defender 130(Gladiator). It won't matter what Rover comes out with, there's a 99.9% chance it won't be as cool as the Gladiator, but will probably cost more.

The new Defender will look like shit, but the faithful will justify buying it to themselves somehow, just like they did with the Discovery Cinco. Everyone knows its a turd, but people justify it by saying "it grows on you"or "it looks better in person". Nobody has to say that about the Gladiator. It looks like it should.

Congratulations Rover, you just lost half your Defender market before you even released it.
pretty much everything he said.

Poofters in suits with dashing pocket squares don't buy (say this with some arrogance, and raise your chin first) ... jeeps.

Land Rover owners are even less likely to go off-road than jeep owners.

I personally have no use for a pick-em-up truck.
But, yep, Jeep'll sell a bunch.
I bet the aftermarket people are already sketching stuff on cocktail napkins.

sorry, jeep aftermarket people use "bar" napkins.
Land Rover designers dab their thin lips with a linen handkerchief, which should never be mistaken for a pocket square.
Of course, you'd know that if you weren't a heathen american. (raise your chin before you say american)

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:47 PM

Member Trucks
It's going to sell like crazy. Even though it will probably be $50K. I can't believe how many new Jeeps are on the road and how much they hold their value.

Meanwhile:
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...rover-defender

Last edited by Roverlady; 11-29-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: i forgot how to post a picture ha
Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 PM

Member Trucks
That red 4-door jeep pickup is a pretty good looking truck. Looks like lots of backseat room. Having the doors off and the windshield folded down is pretty fucking stupid though. Stop playing make-believe you stupid cunts.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:51 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
This looks really fucking cool but after you study it for about 10 seconds you start to wonder what the point is.
Reduced interior human space....check! Reduced to non-existent interior cargo space.....check! Mediocre pickup bed space for exposed and unsecured cargo....check! Drastically reduced exterior cargo space because no where else to put a spare.....check!
Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
This looks really fucking cool but after you study it for about 10 seconds you start to wonder what the point is.
Reduced interior human space....check! Reduced to non-existent interior cargo space.....check! Mediocre pickup bed space for exposed and unsecured cargo....check! Drastically reduced exterior cargo space because no where else to put a spare.....check!

It isnt practical its just cool and different. If I really needed a pickup to haul stuff around with, thats what i would get. Hell most pickup owners dont even haul anything except a few mulch bags, which could fit in most SUV's

I guess my gripe with the Gladiator is that I don't think its going to be good at being a pickup or being a Jeep. I think an extended cab Tacoma fits the bill better. You just cant take the doors and roof off.